Poorly hen - should I give her a few more dyas?

• 6 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Poorly hen - should I give her a few more dyas?
« on: August 25, 2014, 08:57 »
I have a poorly chicken.  The vet says she has a swelling inside which is causing her pain.  She has had antibiotics and anti-inflammatories since Friday but doesn't appear much better. 

The vet said the next stage is x-ray which I don't think I want to put her through.  The vet said the xray could show tumour (likely, a lot of my ex-batts developed tumours on their ovaries) or a compacted egg, which would need an op.  The vet seemed young and inexperienced, and probably trained more on exotic birds, but what he said seems to be correct.

She doesn't seem any better , she has her tail is down a lot of the time.  She perks up now and again, but I don't think she's happy.

Finally to the point - is there any hope for little Pat or is it kindest to put her to sleep?  My cat vet (not my hen vet which are shut) will put her down today (and won't charge extra for bank holiday).  But they don't do birds so probably won't be able to advise any other options. 

I don't think the pain killers are doing much. What's her quality of life with her tail down, is there any point in giving her a few more days?

Thanks Lesley

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Re: Poorly hen - should I give her a few more dyas?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 08:58 »
I meant a few more 'days'

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 12:04 »
Chooks are very good at hiding illness and when it gets to the stage you know there is something wrong it is often too late to do anything useful for them. (In my opinion at least) If your instinct is saying its time to put her to sleep then I would. You obviously care for her, and to keep her going when she is in pain isn't really fair on her.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 12:15 »
Have you tried treating her for a compacted egg? Involves positioning her over steaming water. Haven't had the problem myself but maybe worth a try, rather than expensive vet remedies. Obviously have a read up, before attempting yourself.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:17 by Lastcast »

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 19:01 »
Thank you everyone; she was PTS this afternoon. She was no longer enjoying herself and in pain, so no more treatment/vet visits. 

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 22:06 »
Oh dear that's so sad but like you say you don't want to prolong their pain. It's a dilemma for sure but you did your best for her

barley

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 20:06 »
sorry to hear that Susie  :(

I have lost a few over the years to egg peritonitis's  - if that's what she had and although it's not an easy decision you defiantly have done the kindest thing

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
question
Poorly hen?

Started by hoptonboy on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 31, 2012, 22:23
by hoptonboy
xx
Another poorly hen

Started by heygrow on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 02, 2011, 12:49
by newChickenMummy
xx
A poorly hen...

Started by bob-the-chick on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 14:00
by bob-the-chick

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 35 queries.