Greenhouse renovation.

• 5 Replies

Goosegirl

Greenhouse renovation.
« on: February 03, 2021, 13:54 »
I've inherited one of those old aluminium greenhouses and would like to spruce it up a bit. I've already replaced a few broken window panes but would like to paint the outside aluminium frame. My OH says I have to sand it down until it's shiny but I thought the paint would adhere better if I just removed any rough bits. The paint I want use is a smooth Hammerite paint in Holly Green. What are your thoughts?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jezza

Re: Greenhouse renovation.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 14:04 »
Hello I'm sure that you will need a special primer for Aluminium, that seals  it,its worth checking on the tin or Hammerites web site,I put a Aluminium greenhouse up a bout 5 years ago that has green plastic strips that slide onto the frame it's a Norfolk green house they might do plastic strips,   jezza

wighty

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 16:57 »
I've spoken to Paul who has 42 years of retailing DIY products experience and he says as far as he is concerned you are 'wasting your time'.  As far as he knows Hammerite is not recommended for aluminium.  There is a    primer available which is self-etching but is very,  very expensive.  When we're back at work tomorrow I'll try the technical departments for you, whose numbers we have, and let you know what they say.   

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 18:17 »
There's a primer by Dulux https://www.diy.com/departments/dulux-trade-super-grip-white-multi-surface-primer-1/161709_BQ.prd?rrec=true which I was advised to use on some difficult surfaces. They can't guarantee it'll work where I want it, (a shower tile/mastic base), but I reckon it'd do the trick!

As an alternative, I used Hammerite on a chipped cream Rayburn - including the fire door, some years ago, and it stayed on forever! I use it wherever I can on our cast-iron gates, etc! They're very helpful on their website too.

If you do a couple of coats on the bare metal of an ali greenhouse, I'd try that first!

wighty

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 15:00 »
Found out from Akzo Nobel who make Hammerite that you can use it on aluminium but the Hammerite Special Metals primer should be used first.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 15:59 »
Thanks all. I'll contact Hammerite just in case their latest smooth paint will do the job; if not I'll have a think as to what's the easiest way to make it look a bit better than it is now..

xx
chicken house renovation

Started by Mikey on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 21:58
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Greenhouse help please

Started by nickiit2003 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 20:38
by nickiit2003
xx
greenhouse

Started by noshed on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post December 27, 2006, 14:34
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
greenhouse

Started by bigandy on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 09:10
by Plot 6B

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 45 queries.