Hosepipe connector confusion

• 6 Replies

fuchsia

Hosepipe connector confusion
« on: January 19, 2015, 17:34 »
Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy my first hosepipe and it's all a lot more complicated than I thought!

I've got two external taps, front and back of the house and I want something that's quick and easy to disconnect and move around. I want to use it for washing the car as well. Garden is 24m long.

I wasn't going to bother with a reel - will I regret this? I can coil up the hose in either the lean-to or the shed. Would it damage the hose to hang it on a big hook?

Would these potential purchases meet my needs and is the connector the right one for the tap end?

http://www.worldofgardena.co.uk/products/art-2942-26-gardena-hose-connector-with-control-valve-13mm--2942-26.html

http://www.worldofgardena.co.uk/products/gardena-30m-comfort-highflex-hose-13-mm-%2812-inch%29--18066-20.html

http://www.worldofgardena.co.uk/products/art-8122-24-classic-adjustable-multifunctional-sprayer-with-flow-control--8122-28.html

If I need a reel I might just get a cheaper pipe. Any opinions or advice most appreciated.

Thanks

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Hosepipe connector confusion
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 17:58 »
I find that unscrewing the fitting onto the tap weakens it, over time, such that it leaks / drips. So I have a short length of hose connected to each of my taps, with whatever screw thread fitting is best, completely with PTFE tape or whatever, and woe betide anyone that undoes it!  The free end of the hose then has a quick-fit connector, onto which I can push-fit the hose itself.

Thereafter you either use a Hozelock compatible push-fit connector, or a Geka one.  I find hozelock have a short life, particularly if left out for the winter; Geka last forever (very basic concept, all brass, the more the pressure increases the tighter the seal they make).  However, Geka connect to the hose using a jubilee clip which itself is the work of Satan!  Other possible benefits of Geka are: a single connector - so no need for Female-Male-Female just to join two hoses, and interchangeable whether the connectors are connected to 1/2", 3/4" or 1" hose.  That will be largely irrelevant for a small garden / one piece of hose owner.

When hanging up your "coil" of hose loop it over something of reasonable diameter, or perhaps two hooks, rather than just a single hook. I find that dangling from a single hook over a prolonged period the hose takes on an inverted V-shape which then constricts the hose in use.

Personally I would not use more than 25M of 1/2", I would use 3/4" - the pressure/flow loss with 1/2" becomes significant at that distance.  3/4" hose is a lot heavier to lug about though.

fuchsia

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 18:09 »
Thanks for the detailed reply Kristen. Some more food for thought there.

I could probably get away with about 20m if necessary as there isn't much needing watering down the end of the garden and the hose should spray a good few metres further!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 18:48 »
I wouldn;t worry about having a bit longer than 25M of 1/2" hose. My garden is very long, and 2x 25M connected together is certainly significantly slower-flowing than 50M of 3/4", but it does the job.

Better to have 2 x 20M pieces, rather than 1 x 40M, so that you can use just one 20M length when the job is near the tap :)

jezza

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 20:03 »
hi there was a hose advertised on telly a few weeks ago called xhose they uncoil when tap is turned on and re coil when tap turned off they wwhere in 15 20 30 metre lengths coiled twice these lenghts when tap turned on   jezza

fuchsia

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 21:02 »
Hi jezza,

That sounds interesting, I shall investigate further. I'm not much of an early adopter however. I like tried and trusted technology, that way other people pay to make the mistakes  ;)

@Kristen, thanks again. Maybe I could buy the longer length (if shorter ones aren't available) and chop off a couple of bits for the short pieces attached to the taps. Decisions, decisions...

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 09:39 »
Maybe I could buy the longer length (if shorter ones aren't available) and chop off a couple of bits for the short pieces attached to the taps.

Yup, nothing wrong with that (you'll need an extra set of connectors to join the two halves).  Probably cheaper to buy one long piece.

Less lugging when you only need half-length-hose.

Perhaps:

Put a bucket under the tap, time how log it takes to fill.
Attach full length of hose, time the bucket filling again.

You might have fantastic water pressure and there will be very little difference.  If it takes twice as long to fill the bucket with the hose THEN consider cutting it into two pieces for "jobs near the house" and "up the garden"?

xx
Tap connector that don't leak.

Started by Lardman on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 09:46
by 8doubles
xx
Hosepipe ban ?

Started by Petite graine on Equipment Shed

17 Replies
Last post August 01, 2007, 14:33
by Aunt Sally
xx
Hosepipe

Started by mumofstig on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 20:13
by snowdrops
xx
Hosepipe adaptors

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post June 28, 2017, 19:49
by AlaninCarlisle

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 39 queries.