Welsummer vs. Barnevelder?

• 5 Replies

laurabee

Welsummer vs. Barnevelder?
« on: March 28, 2009, 19:06 »
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to chicken keeping and currently have just two - a gold legbar and a gold campine. They both lay white eggs so I'd like to increase my flock with some that lay a few different colours. I've found a place reasonably close that breeds cream legbars, Barnevelders and Welsummers so am thinking I could get a couple from there. One will be a cream legbar, but not sure whether to go for the Barnevelder or Welsummer - any thoughts? I'd like a reasonable number of eggs, but personality is more important really. I like the look of both of them, so not bothered lookswise! By the way, yes I do need to choose just one - I already have a couple of little buff rock bantams on order and only want 6 in total so they have plenty of space. Would like more if we ever move and have more space, but 6 is the limit for now!

Any advice / experience much appreciated!

alotment shed

Re: Welsummer vs. Barnevelder?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 19:36 »
id have Barnevelder every day i find there more friendly  . where welsummers never seem to be tame.  but at the end of the day its up to you . i realy do like welsummers but the Barnevelder win for what you want them for .

Vember

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 19:52 »
I have a couple of Barneys L/F :) They are beautiful birds and lay a lovely reddish/brown colour egg :)
Of all the birds I have I find they are the most aloof :) They mix well with the other birds but definitely not pick up and cuddly as my others :D

Hope that helps :)

Welcome to the Hen House btw :D

Sarah :D

treacleminer

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 09:14 »
If they are a small place they may be reluctant to separate the breeds unless they have been brooded together.  When I got my Light Sussex, I was hoping to have one LS & one Maran as that was what the man bred, but he wanted the siblings to stay together so I ended up with 2 LS.
I suppose what I am saying is that you may have to be prepared to take whats available!
Janet

laurabee

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 09:19 »
True, but it's always handy to have a preference in mind in case you have a choice! It seems quite big anyway, and when we discussed it on the phone there was no mention of not mixing the breeds - so we'll see...

Thanks for all the comments, really helpful. My husband seems to like the Barnevelders and since he's not fully converted to the chicken cause yet, I guess I ought to indulge him!

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 12:58 »
What gorgeous chooks you have got! I crave a gold campine. But plain old hybrids will have to do for us for now...
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

xx
barnevelder eggs

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 20:09
by Vember
question
barnevelder cockerel

Started by drumcrow on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 06, 2009, 12:55
by drumcrow
xx
One Barnevelder feather plucking another one ! Help

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 21:44
by anitaws
xx
Welsummer POL

Started by slowef on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2007, 22:49
by muntjac

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 28 queries.