Egg eaters !

• 5 Replies

barneyowl

Egg eaters !
« on: May 24, 2008, 11:17 »
New topic and an old problem.  Been keeping chooks for about 4 yrs now. Just recently bought two new hens... one of which has a taste for the eggs!!!  now they all love them.  Ihave tried filling them with mustard to put them off but it makes no difference.  I collect the eggs three or four times a day now to try and salvage some before THEY get them. When one of them gets an egg she runs off with it followed by a mad posse who try to out run her and get it off her.. if it was a worm it wold be hilarious to watch.
I just cant be on stand by all day to grab the eggs before they do but I cant bear the thought of the waste of all those lovely eggs.
I have heard of a kind of laying coop where the eggs roll away to safety after they have been layed.  Can anyone advise.  :?  Thanks all
who cares wins

Vember

Egg eaters !
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 11:55 »
Think this is the answer,
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=16785

Best thing to do is pm Bodger :)

peggyprice

Egg eaters !
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 21:43 »
These are the rollaway nest boxes ...

http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/rollaway_nestboxes.htm

or as Agapanthus says, PM Bodger about his chicken spectacles.  He sent me a couple of pairs last week for Dorothy our egg eating Warren.  Don't know if they work or not - wretched creature hasn't laid an egg since the day we put them on her :!:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

barneyowl

Egg eaters !
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 22:14 »
Thankyou very much.  The spectacles sound very interesting.  I would have to bespectacle all my chooks (all 12)  What a sight that would be :lol:
Thankyou for the rollaway boxes information... I think that may be the answer in the long run.
 I spoke to a friend today who suggested  putting the pretend eggs in the nest just so they would get fed up and break the habit.  she also suggested that I give them more protein in their diet and of course grit and oyster shells but as they are free range I doubt if they are short of the latter.
But I can now see that there is a solution and that I don`t have to be on "egg guard" for ever.  Thanks again  Barneyowl
ps.  What would I do without the fantastic help and expertise I get from you all on this great site? :D

Bodger

Egg eaters !
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 22:30 »
Hen specks are 15 p each plus postage which is normally the price of a stamp. :lol:

barneyowl

Egg eaters !
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 22:59 »
Thanks again Bodge :tongue2:

xx
egg eaters

Started by gcb on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 20:09
by joyfull
xx
Egg eaters

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 20:34
by grinling
xx
Fussy Eaters

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 15, 2008, 22:15
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Messy eaters!

Started by AmandaH on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 12:50
by AmandaH

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 39 queries.