mountfield M1 rotavator

• 2 Replies

echosounder

mountfield M1 rotavator
« on: May 20, 2013, 12:44 »
Hi All,

I have a Mountfield M1 rotavator, that isnt sparking. I checked the coil pack and HT lead, seemed ok. I borrowed a puller to get the flywheel off so i could access the points, Ive managed to give them a good clean as they has some deposits on them, my problem now is, how do i set everything back up. I've cleaned the coil pack and replaced and gapped the spark plug but not sure how to set the points before re-assembly.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The rotavator was running ok last september but has been kept in a damp shed over winter, and this is the first time out this year. I'd removed the old spark and rested it against the metal engine while pulling the cord but no spark at all. Someone said it might be the points either dirty stuck open/closed or loose wiring.
Thanks for any advice on this.

Echosounder. :D

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
Re: mountfield M1 rotavator
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 09:04 »
Firstly I’m assuming your M1 has a Briggs & Stratton engine, as I believe some had Aspera. The points should be rubbed with emery and spotlessly clean, the gap is 0.020” set by slackening the condenser and moving it. While you are setting the points, check they are closing at one position of the crank, if not, the plunger is stuck. Finger pressure on the points while turning the crank will usually free the plunger. The air gap between the flywheel magnets and the coil armature should be about 0.010”
R Tallentire

echosounder

Re: mountfield M1 rotavator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 12:46 »
Hi R Tallentire.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciated. I believe it is a briggs and stratton engine. I will use your information at the weekend, (hopefully, rain free here in Bridlington) and hopefully i'll be able to spark my non starter into action.

Thanks
Echo

xx
Mountfield MK1 rotavator

Started by Greendave on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 23, 2019, 09:45
by Greendave
xx
Mountfield M1 Rotavator

Started by Kevin Cooper on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 30, 2021, 19:23
by jezza
xx
Mountfield M1 rotavator

Started by joe rayner on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post December 30, 2008, 13:45
by Gwiz
xx
mountfield m1 rotavator

Started by peasjay on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2013, 05:33
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 38 queries.