Raised beds -

• 54 Replies

Knight Family

Raised beds -
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2008, 01:27 »
Quote from: "Ice"
My winter project is to build five beds using gravelboard.
1.9x15x240cm
Five boards per pack at £18.35 each x 3 =£55 squid = £11 squid per 2.4x120cm bed.

Can anyone see a problem?

I  did this recently and so far as long as you add in supports then there fine. Mine was 2 high by 12ft long / 4ft across, will add a picture on tomorrow night / weekend as going to blue planet with family tomorrow.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

meterman

• Experienced Member
Raised beds -
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2008, 23:28 »
My whole lotty is converted to raised beds cost to build £0. Go to your local trade gutter/facia supplier and ask for the old returned upvc facia boards no rot and upto 3m long. The main benefit for me is the ability to work on them whatever the weather as time is always short

The Thin Blue Line

• Experienced Member
  • One Forking at a time please.
Raised beds -
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2008, 08:32 »
Quote from: "Bombers"
Quote from: "Bombers"
These are standard treated gravel boards and are 1.9cm (19mm) thick, 15cm (150mm) deep and 2.4 m long.  Decking boards are too expensive.

Need to put my glasses on  :oops:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Never did like metrification.... In my job, we're all still using feet 'n inches, much bl@@dy simpler IMHO"!

yes working in "10"s is very very very hard... :roll:

Trillium

Raised beds -
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2008, 19:21 »
Mine are the cheapest beds of all - I simply heap up the soil from the paths onto the beds themselves. Each year I can change the size, shape and whatever with no cost and little effort since I rotovate the works every fall anyway.

Kate and her Ducks

Raised beds -
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2008, 19:46 »
Mine are free too as they are made from bricks salvaged from skips etc.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Nolster

Raised beds -
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2009, 21:52 »
Have read this thread with interest as am planning to construct some raised beds (sort of) to grow veggies.

Not sure if they are raised beds but as am making a flat veg patch on a slope one end will be raised so hopefully this is the best place to ask my questions???

The area is around 5m square, sloping upwards from ground level at the back of the house at about 30 degrees.

Think I will need to cut into the ground at the far end from the house and support the ground there to stop it collapsing when I lower the surface level plus at the other end when I raise the surface, as well as at the sides.

Started off looking at railway sleepers but at £25 a pop the pallet etc suggestions here look more practical.

Reckon I'd be raising the ground by about 2 feet at the house end. Is there any rule of thumb regards thickness of timber vs height of soil retained?

Do I need to do this at all or can I just plant on the slope and save myself the hassle? Back of the house is south facing so would still get plenty sun but not sure if it would erode??

Any advice would be greatfully received. Thanks in advance. :wink:

Faz

• Experienced Member
Raised beds -
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2009, 22:08 »
I would think for a two foot high retaining wall that you'll need something more substantial than timbers from pallets. Even sleepers would probably need a decent footing to be fastened to.

See if you can get some concrete blocks or similar off freecycle.

MoreWhisky

Raised beds -
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2009, 22:08 »
Im using scaffolding boards , seem ideal size to me. Luckly i can get these for free as i think they would be dear to buy.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Raised beds -
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2009, 22:12 »
If you're looking to raise the soil as much as that think you'll need something as strong as railway sleepers. :(

Have you thought of making 2 terraces then each 'wall' would be smaller and thinner timber could be used.

Just a thought........... different ideas will follow

Salmo

Raised beds -
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2009, 00:00 »
A series of terraces would seem the right approach.

If you decide to plant on the slope, which is good if it is south facing, then plant rows across the slope to avoid erosion.

xx
Raised beds

Started by samnorfolk on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 11:16
by sunshineband
xx
raised beds

Started by annex50 on Design and Construction

13 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 14:36
by stevehester
xx
Raised Beds

Started by Nic on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 14:04
by Aunt Sally
xx
Raised Beds

Started by A19_GRAHAM on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 23:12
by hightide

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 39 queries.