Sudden Death

• 6 Replies

Prod

Sudden Death
« on: May 10, 2015, 22:28 »
Went to put my chucks away tonight and found  my beautiful Buff Orpington cockerel, Ely, dead on the field. He was about 30mths old and a real stunner, I have bred from him and Valerie is presently sat on 12 eggs. He was as tame as a bird can be and really looked after his flock of 6 girls. I go to the field 5 or 6 times a day and nothing seemed out of order today, but when I found him he looked like he had been running and literally dropped dead. His head was  virtually black and his chest dark purple so I wonder if it could have been his heart. I feel really sad........  soft bum that I am.... :wub: :wub:

LotuSeed

Re: Sudden Death
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 23:13 »
Awww I'm sorry. It really sucks losing our animal friends. 😥
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 03:08 »
Same thing happened to mine no idea what happened to him. His head was facing down towards his chest very small amount of liquid from his mouth. :-(

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 09:13 »
So sorry Prod it does siund like his heart. Remember though he had a great life with you! :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

barley

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 09:44 »
I lost a hen a few years ago similar to that  :(

I thought then maybe it was her heart

I found this a while back - very informative on flock illness and disease - warning does contain graphic images

http://www.poultryu.umn.edu/prod/groups/cvm/@pub/@cvm/@vdl/documents/asset/cvm_asset_350829.pdf

Prod

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 12:42 »
Thanks for the comments and support.  It is strange how chickens can just keel over like that. Buff Orpingtons, I think, are very attractive birds, they can be very tame and friendly, and Ely, for a cockerel, was like a pussy cat. He was such a handsome chap, I shall miss him.  On a more positive note I have another BO cockerel, Billie, who has one eye and some people will remember his story. I obviously had to keep him in a separate pen with a couple of older girls to keep him company however I thought this morning when I let them out that they might as well all be together. I have never seen him so animated!!!  like all his Christmases coming early!!  I have a BO x Legbar, Buffy, who has a fabulous crown (like a '50s wedding hat) and she is always going broody. She went into the coop where Valerie was sat on 12 eggs and promptly 'evicted' her taking over the nest.  I decided to split them so they are now in separate coops with 6 eggs each!!!!

barley

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 16:08 »
awww prod so nice to hear your staying positive x

xx
Sudden death

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2013, 18:41
by ANHBUC
xx
Sudden Death!!!

Started by hannah on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 17:12
by kimT
xx
Sudden Death!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 21:21
by nettynoodles1
xx
Hen's sudden death

Started by freddiesmiles on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 15:12
by Alby

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 39 queries.