Will i be too late ?

• 14 Replies

Grinin'Reaper

• Experienced Member
Will i be too late ?
« on: March 26, 2007, 17:18 »
Still havnt recieved in post my forms for my new plot and being realistic, it will probably be mid april at least B4 i will be ready to plant anything as i have a fair bit if ground prep and my usual work commitments. Can i start off some things at home first and what would you suggest ?
I'm not usually impatient but am eagre to get started, specially as everyone is busying themselves with the usual springtime stuff, i feel alittle left behind :(

Gwiz

Will i be too late ?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 18:39 »
there's still going to be a lot you can do, salads ect. i would stick in a few late spuds,wont do any harm will it? leeks, broad beans for later maybe. by all means start some stuff off at home, if you dont get a lottie by mid april, you could always use the stuff in large pots at home perhaps.
you can plant fruit later if its been grown in a pot also.
 :D  :D

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Will i be too late ?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 19:15 »
we didn't get ours last year until may and the weeds were knee high but we still managed to grow loads - courgetes, tomatoes, runner beans, sweetcorn lettuce cabbage pumpkins kale, we have the usual work commitments but just took it a little at a time

skywalker

• Experienced Member
Will i be too late ?
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 21:10 »
Try some onions, leeks, cabbages, + sprouts in modules now and you can plant out later in year. You will still have plenty of time in april / may to get loads of stuff in!
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

WG.

Will i be too late ?
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 21:21 »
I'm gonna get laughed at here but transplanting potatoes actually WORKS!   I've done it.

Plant spuds in 5 litre icecream tubs - one per tub - ask your local ice cream shop to save tubs for you.  Almost any type of tub will do - even pedal bin liners.  When you get your plot ready, carefully lift out the whole thing and set into a shallow depression in your drill.   A bin liner can simply be slit along the underside.  There will be a lot more root than there will be top foliage (which is why I don't rate chitting).

If you do this with a maincrop variety you are less likely to have them "pot bound" on you.

muntjac

Will i be too late ?
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 21:25 »
i agree with ya mate ,.,,,,, se my post on saving them spuds in pots .let em grow n then stick the lot in the ground
still alive /............

WG.

Will i be too late ?
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 21:33 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
i agree with ya mate ,.,,,,, se my post on saving them spuds in pots .let em grow n then stick the lot in the ground
Phew ...

muntjac

Will i be too late ?
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 21:36 »
your getting a bit confused with all my agreeing with ya posts aint ya  8)  :lol:

WG.

Will i be too late ?
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 21:39 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
your getting a bit confused with all my agreeing with ya posts aint ya  8)  :lol:
Yeah - sure am.  Makes me feel like I'm conforming ...   Either that or you're lulling me into a false sense of security ...  :wink:

shaun

Will i be too late ?
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 21:39 »
and it works the way around aswell with earlys.when you dig em up(as the flowers apear) get the plant after you have picked the spuds of it .and plant it in a bucket you wont get a massive crop but you will get some.i know its hard to believe but it works.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

WG.

Will i be too late ?
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 21:50 »
Quote from: "shaun"
and it works the way around aswell with earlys.when you dig em up(as the flowers apear) get the plant after you have picked the spuds of it .and plant it in a bucket you wont get a massive crop but you will get some.i know its hard to believe but it works.

Haven't heard that one before ... so basically you are transplanting the whole shaw.  Blight would getya wouldn't it?

shaun

Will i be too late ?
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 21:55 »
i  was shocked when i seen it but it does work this old chap shown me.the spuds are only small that he gets like them things you get in tins .blights not a problem in june dave

WG.

Will i be too late ?
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 21:57 »
blights not a problem in june dave
 Nor are early tatties - I'll still be keeping mine earthed up against FROST in early June.

shaun

Will i be too late ?
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 22:00 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
blights not a problem in june dave
 Nor are early tatties - I'll still be keeping mine earthed up against FROST in early June.

i'm not talking about earlies in the whysky country david on average our earlies will be ready in june

diggerjoe

never too late
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 16:09 »
Only had my plot a couple of weeks but it will be a time before i get it all sorted so i have cleared an area at home as a seed bed - I had waited ages for a plot only to find this one had been left for two years! I have managed to dig about 25ft x 20 so far but its a start - up in the midlands i have always found that we are bit behind so hopefully getting stuff going in the backgarden will pay off - that tip about spuds in posts first is great I'll give that a go

xx
Late late sowings of parsnip and carrot

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:21
by WG.
xx
Broad beans - too late or not to late?

Started by redfire on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 10:23
by weeeed
xx
to late to plant "late" potatos?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2007, 20:53
by Beanzie
xx
Too late for BBs?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 19:44
by woodburner

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 40 queries.