Stressed Rooster

• 3 Replies

Dottyaussie

Stressed Rooster
« on: February 06, 2012, 15:36 »
Hi all
I have noticed this morning one of my hen's making alot of noise and going in and out of the coop so Im guessing she is getting ready to lay her first egg yay !! The problem is one of the rooster's is getting so stressed about the whole thing making loads of noise and following her around. At one point he even went in the coop when she wasnt there and made a nest. Since then she has gone in the old smaller coop while he keeps going in and out of the other coop. I have shut the door on the run to keep the rooster in and since then its all been very quiet and the hen has stayed in the smaller coop being very quiet too. Is this normal behaviour?? Or is he just concerned because he has being tryin to mate with her in the last couple of weeks ??

Sassy

Re: Stressed Rooster
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 09:03 »
The cockerel is probably being a bit possessive, I had a cockerel that did this. Someone should be along with better info shortly :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 09:26 »
My bantam cockerals quite often go into the house when the girls are laying and will sit with them, or climb into a nest box.  Hens climb up the pecking order if they are in lay, so that's why your girlie is making a fuss and he is just announcing how he's a big fertile male with healthy fertile girls to everyone ;)

It should all settle down fairly quickly when egg laying becomes a daily routine  :)

Dottyaussie

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:00 »
Well Rosie finally laid her first egg after I locked away the rooster  :) Then while I was digging in the garden I was throwing them some worms and the cutest thing happened. Mr Rooster had one and was making a rosey noise at Rosie and she went over to him and he let her have the worm awwww :)

xx
Stressed hen!

Started by danmegal on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2010, 23:42
by dizzylizzie
xx
broody hen getting stressed - help

Started by Laydies on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 20:59
by Laydies
xx
Moved the chuck house and run and at bedtime they were very stressed

Started by Feathers on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 09:15
by Foxy
xx
rooster or hen

Started by davimi on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 09:51
by cathangirl

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 41 queries.