Got em

• 3 Replies

yorkshirerose

Got em
« on: October 01, 2007, 22:06 »
Picked up my 6 ex-battery hens yesterday.
They are well feathered though moulting - seen worse on hen rescue site :!:
Got home to find that they had already laid 2 nice big eggs in the crate :D .
They did cluck back whilst i drove home - hubby thinks im bonkers as im one of those that 'moo' to the cows and 'baaaa' to the sheep. Dr Doolittle has nothing on me  :lol:  :lol:
Well it worked with these girls anyway.
We did wing clip due to the fence being under 5' and I know that they are weak on thier legs and moulting but they are very skittish and very frightened girls. So thought it best to clip so when they get fitter - I wasnt chasing em through the countryside :oops: .
Anyway I put em straight in the chook shed where they started to feed and water.
The four girls (2 black rocks and 2 speckeldys) came to investigate and did some deep rosey but soon went back outside in the run.
I always leave the food and water in the shed so as not to attract vermin - though that is hard when you live with huge wheat fields just across the lane.
I stayed around all day to keep an eye on em all.
Let the 4 original girls out of the run for the very first time - enticing them past the kennels - rottie went potty but the girls didnt batter an eyelid.
Doris one of the speckeldys even stopped at each dog bowl to check out for anything nice to eat :lol:  :lol:
Anyway they helped me with the borders - I dug and they scratched about - they loved it. Then we all had a drink together then I just sat and watched them scratting. Oh what bliss.
Looking forward to the ex-battery girls to overcome thier fear. Though today the odd one keeps emerging from the shed and having a good look round.
Yesterday 2 of the ex-batteries were fighting but to my amazement, Dora the other speckeldy came running to break them up - she did this a few times - one of which I actually called for her assistance :?  :?  But it worked and she came running over yet again , and gave one a peck on the head and stood between them both until they went seperate ways.
Im sure Dora would knock thier heads together if she could :lol:  :lol:
Last night I went to close pop hole on shed and went in shed to do my usual head count - usual 4 girls up on perches. Other girls were in 2 groups of 3's. 3 in one nest box so I moved 2 into the other nest boxes and left the other 3 huddled up in a corner.
I did try putting one on a perch yesterday but they are not strong enough yet - though one was balancing quite well on a perch today.
Other than that I have left them to get on with it and sort out a pecking order.
This morning we got 5 eggs - some of them are whoppers compared to the 4 girls.
Shall let you know on thier progress. :wink:
Live every day as your last - enjoy life and smile.

muntjac

Got em
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 22:08 »
good luck with them girl  :wink:
still alive /............

Jellyhead

Got em
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 07:45 »
Made lovely reading. Good luck.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Got em
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 11:47 »
Wonderful story yorkshirerose.  I just wish I had space for a few rescue girls and give the a happy retirement, howeverlong that may be.

Don't forget the site rules :

WE NEED PICTURES  :lol:

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 33 queries.