Moved the chuck house and run and at bedtime they were very stressed

• 4 Replies

Feathers

I thought i would move the chuck house and run to give them some fresh grass and also give me room to extend the run, however I let them out for an hour before bed as always and they couldnt find the house again - the food and water was there and i showed them where it was but they just run around rosey and distressed where the old place was - it was about 20ft away.  I have had to catch the poor things to put them to bed and have carried the house (while they were in it ) back to where it was originally - i thought people recommended moving the runs around? your opinion please

compostqueen

I'd definitely move the house about if you can as fresh, clean grass is good for them.  I suppose moving it, but not by much, would be best so they could easily find it again but I wouldn't worry, they'll know where it is by tomorrow  :) 

Sassy

I used to move mine at least weekly but only moved it the length of the house ie to the next bit of clean ground - hope this makes sense to you :) and I never had a problem.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Beano

Something similar happened when we moved ours. They had watched us move it and had gone into the run during the day to eat and drink. When it came to evening the were trying to find the coop where it used to be and were getting quite distressed and one even went to roost in the crab apple tree. We had to shoo them in that evening but by the next day they had got used to it.
I would advise you to move the coop and they will soon get used to and enjoy their new view.
El.

Foxy

Move the coop at dusk and  physically put the chooks in the house, when the come out they will have the day to get used to the new surrroundings and should go back. If they are disorientated place a torch inside the pop-hole  shining out, this will guide them in :)

xx
Stressed hen!

Started by danmegal on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2010, 23:42
by dizzylizzie
xx
Stressed Rooster

Started by Dottyaussie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 07, 2012, 12:00
by Dottyaussie
xx
broody hen getting stressed - help

Started by Laydies on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 20:59
by Laydies
xx
Bedtime?

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post October 29, 2009, 13:56
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 33 queries.