allotment chickens

• 3 Replies

snow white

allotment chickens
« on: April 17, 2012, 14:06 »
Do any of you keep chickens on an allotment?  If so what time of day do you go up to let them out, surely not daybreak?

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
Re: allotment chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 14:14 »
My chickens are not in an allotment, they are at the bottom of the garden, but even I don't get up especially to let them out! 

Well, that's not quite true -  I used to when I first got them, but when I found myself setting the alarm for 6.00am on sunday mornings in the middle of summer to let the girls out, I thought "this is crazy"... and that's when I discovered the auto pop-hole opener!  Best ever invention for chook-keepers - not particularly cheap but WELL worth the money and thoroughly recommended for sunday morning lie-ins!
 :)
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

steelman

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 15:11 »
We have 2 allotment chicken runs and about 30 birds at present. Its a shared hobby with my brother and we take it in turns to open/close. Being as I work shifts, they are opened at 5.30am most mornings either on my way to work or coming home ! We've only had 1 fox attack ( only last week) and that was because I left a bird out all night, and because I overlooked an area of weakness in the perimeter.

RigsVilleBird

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 15:59 »
I learnt the hard way, I didnt put the girls to bed and lost most of my birds to a fox  :( :(

I now put my birds to bed shortly after dusk and let them out about 7.30am each morning.  Since I have adopted this way I have had no more problems.  :D :D

xx
Allotment Chickens How Many?

Started by robinson on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 21:42
by peapod
xx
chickens on allotment

Started by debs1963 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 12:04
by Sassy
xx
chickens on allotment

Started by snow white on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 23:46
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Chickens on the allotment

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 24, 2006, 00:24
by muntjac

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 38 queries.