Hatching Help

• 6 Replies

Thompson24

• Experienced Member
Hatching Help
« on: June 20, 2009, 20:13 »
Hi guys

I have just hatched out my second lot of eggs and seem to have had the same problems with both batches

1) fading chick syndrom - they seem to be ok one min then get all wobbly for a few hours then keel over and die

2) splits - the legs on a couple of chicks seem to have gone to the sides (as though they have done the spilts and cant get back up.  They survive a couple of days then die

3) A couple of the chicks have looked like there intestines have come out of there backside, although they are still alive the other chicks have started to attack them and pull them out further, and had to be put out their misary

Hope someone can shed some light as im getting a little dishartened and think it must be something im doing, or not doing?

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Hatching Help
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 20:23 »
Can't explain 1, 2 is spraddle leg and you need to make sure that they are on a surface with grip, I use old towels. If it is too slippy, this happens. You can hobble their legs together with soft string or elastic band and if done propmptly it is reversable. More info available from others as I have never had it so not speaking from experience. As to 3 I have had a couple with an incompletely absorbed yolk sac but usually in ones that I have helped out. Don't know if this is whats the problem but never had actual intestines eviscerating from a hatchling. Would ahve thought they need separating quickly for the yolk sac to completely absorb. If it is actually intestines then I think you need to cull.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Thompson24

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 20:40 »
also someone said to give them a little sugar in the water if they arnt looking so good? is this advisable and if so much how much sugar to wateR?

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 21:17 »
Hi,
I have never heard of this problem (not the spraddled legs), have you got a new incubator or is it a second hand one?
If it is second hand it may need a thourough clean as there could be some bacteria inside that is causing this.
If it is new then sorry, haven't got a clue.

Michelle
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 21:20 »
just to add, where did you get the eggs from? were they clean?

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 21:23 »
just to add, where did you get the eggs from? were they clean?

My first thoughts, but 'Thompson24' said this was the second batch, so could be bacteria in the incubator.

Thompson24

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 21:43 »
Hi all the eggs where clean and I thourghly cleaned the inccy with baby bottle solution?

xx
Hatching help :)

Started by Chookiechook on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 21:08
by Chookiechook
xx
HATCHING!!!!!

Started by tesni on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 02:24
by catgoodyear
xx
egg hatching

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 01, 2010, 01:31
by Silkysmooth
xx
Egg is hatching!!

Started by danmegal on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 14:34
by Vember

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 40 queries.