Dogs and Strokes

• 10 Replies

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
Dogs and Strokes
« on: July 07, 2014, 10:58 »
We are really worried about our elderly labrador.  He seemed OK yesterday morning and went for his usual walk although he stumbled once and seemed unsure of himself later on in the day.  When it came to tea time he didn't want his food (anyone with a Lab will know that this is not normal behaviour).  We then noticed his eyes seemed glazed and his balance was all over the place.

We immediately called the vet who was in the area so came to visit within 1/2 hour.  He is thinking he could have had a stroke or it could be an inner ear problem although his temperature was high and his back was hurting him, (this could have been due to the stumble).  He gave him a pain killer and antiobiotic.

This morning he seems a bit better and has eaten some breakfast, back to vets this afternoon.

Just wondering if anyone has had a dog whose had a stroke or inner ear problems?

Dilly
It is better to have nothing to do than to be doing nothing.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Dogs and Strokes
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 19:31 »
No experience but just posting to say I hope it's nothing serious and that you're OK too.  :(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 20:25 »
Many thanks for that Yorkie, been to vets this afternoon two lots of antibiotics and pain killers.  He is a lot better today so fingers crossed.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 09:30 »
aww that is sounding promising, do keep us posted on how he goes.
Our elderly girl (Newfoundland x GSD aged 14) collapsed one night and also wouldn't eat (again unheard off) but in the morning she was back to her old self - we don't know what her problem was but do know she is fully back to normal - she is totally deaf, awkward and has some disgusting habits but still very happy  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

barley

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 22:50 »
oh I do hope he is ok - you worry so much about them don't you , mine are my babies

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 09:18 »
Thanks for all the kind words.  Troy seems to be a lot better although it has slowed him down a lot but managed two short walks yesterday.

As he is a rescue dog (we are his third home) we don't know his exact age but would think around 12.  Its unbearable seeing them unwell and wish they could let us know how they are feeling. 

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 09:42 »
It is a worry  :( 

My elderly Jack Russell once keeled over as he was chasing doves in the garden.  I thought he may have slipped but the way he keeled over really scared me.  I had a guest in the house at the time and he saw him too and we both ran out . He had that dazed, dopey appearance and I think it was obvious that he'd had some sort of incident.  It never happened again though but he was later diagnosed with dementia

If you make sure your dog is not overweight, is exercised regularly, then he has a good quality of life and might go on for some time yet  :)  :)

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 22:12 »
My dog  Ollie had a stroke, just had an episode where he couldn't walk or balance, he ended up with a nystagmus ( where his eyes 'bounced ' to one side ) but fortunately recovered from it to lead another few happy years.

My current dog Indie was so ill in May that he ended up in the royal Liverpool university small animal hospital in the intensive care unit with a brain disorder.  Thankfully he is I am happy to say back to normal after many weeks recovery - so dogs are very resilient.  It is heart breaking and a real roller coaster when they are poorly and I really understand how you feel.   Here's hoping that Troy recovers well.  Take care of yourselves too.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

evie2

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 20:19 »
Hope Troy's feeling better and you are too :)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 15:35 »
Thought I'd do an update on Troy.  He has had numerous visits to the vets, well more or less once a week and has got to go back again next week but is so much better despite having another mini stroke.

We have now got him on herbal tablets which were recommended by our vet and he is much more like his old self now thank goodness.  He's stopped the constant pacing about and is more relaxed and still has a good quality of life.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 17:25 »
That's good to hear.  :)

xx
Let sleeping dogs lie

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

10 Replies
Last post October 25, 2012, 11:34
by 8doubles
xx
4 dogs, 4 horses

Started by white-blazes on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post November 07, 2010, 18:59
by white-blazes
xx
my dogs have some thing to say..

Started by gizooty on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post December 06, 2009, 20:17
by too many girls
xx
Dogs (don't you just love them)

Started by danfinn1 on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post February 09, 2016, 20:53
by Trikidiki

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 38 queries.