Fish conundrum

• 10 Replies

snowdrops

Fish conundrum
« on: April 20, 2014, 12:11 »
Just looked out of the bedroom window & could see something orange/red on the lawn. Went out to find one of our fish, dead & has been gored, quite a bit of blood,scales etc around on the grass & by the slabs & steps round the pond. Surely a heron would have taken it whole,might a cat have got it?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

8doubles

Re: Fish conundrum
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 12:19 »
A hole through the fish is classic heron, it may have dropped the fish as they spook easily on the ground.
Other birds will mob a flying heron and cause it to drop a catch especially if it is  full right up with your fish!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 12:29 »
A hole through the fish is classic heron, it may have dropped the fish as they spook easily on the ground.
Other birds will mob a flying heron and cause it to drop a catch especially if it is  full right up with your fish!

My thoughts too.

spottymint

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 19:35 »
As already said, Herons tend to spike the fish, often by the head.

It's then pulled from the water, the heron spins it, in it's beak, to swallow the fish head first.

Often you see scale damage to the fish, often on both sides in roughly the same place on both sides.

They do scare easy & will drop fish.  Had enough heron attacks to know.

They hate being chased with a bucket, caught him just as he landed (little blighter must have been watching me  :mad: )

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 19:48 »
Thanks all, we'd previously had a heron sitting on the fence a couple of years ago & looked them up & read that they are wading birds,so I increased the planting around the pond. Also that they need a runway to take back of uninterrupted,so we always keep to washing lines up so they can't take off. This obviously didn't work this time. We don't really want to net but may have to. I've added a photo so you can see the size of the fish & will understand why we don't want to lose anymore. We've had most of them for 10/12 years & some were bred in our previous pond.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 01:06 »
Wow they are beautiful. I can understand why you don't want to net but you don't want to feed the heron on valuable fish which you obviously think a lot of. :ohmy:

spottymint

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 07:43 »
Very nice fish.  :D

Remember, the heron will spike and kill fish, before attempting to eat them. That's the point when he realizes they are too big or heavy to swallow, sadly too late to be revived.  >:(

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 08:09 »
Thanks just Israeli koi mostly with a few grass carp that you can't see in that picture, a few goldfish & shibumkins. We were given a set of four garden lights for Christmas. Solar ones, we put them out the other week & 2 don't work already >:( hubby moved them to around the border near the pond last night, I'm going to put some string or something from one to another to stop the heron being able to walk in from the lawn. The pond is a triangle with a wall onto the patio & a wall on to steps up to the greenhouse making the right angle. The third side is the grass & border. We'll give that a go & do a bit more research on herons. I might ask on the bird watch thread for glosterboys advice he knows a lot about birds.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 10:27 »
Can can put a low fence around it to stop the herons standing on the edge of the pond ?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 13:56 »
Thanks Aunty fig 1 is what I was thinking of. Will see what I can construct. Just hope it can't land on the patio & walk up the steps & hop on the wall & coping stones around the pond.

question
Which fish food?

Started by Pretty Chick on Pets without Feathers

15 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 09:21
by Spana
xx
Fish in pond

Started by mrs mud on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post January 26, 2012, 11:11
by ANHBUC
xx
HELP PLEASE! aclimatising fish

Started by mickeyboy on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 08:53
by 8doubles
xx
bought some new fish today

Started by sunshineband on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 19:51
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 39 queries.