Two pups

• 10 Replies

Oliveview

Two pups
« on: March 23, 2013, 08:34 »
Our refuge rescued a mum dog and her 7 pups last night, sadly 2 were dead when we got there.  The Mum and her pups are off to a refuge close to Barcelona so we had to take them to a pick up point last night.  2 of the pups are too small to make the journey, so they are now in my bathroom...... just for a few nights I told Jim.......  It will NOT be a forever home.
This morning we are off to a vet to get them checked out, they will not take the milk from a bottle, they are 4 weeks old, so I syringe fed them at 12.30am, 3-4am, 7-8am.  I gave 10 ml the first feed and then 20 ml the second and third feed.  I know now why I never had a third baby, night feeds! :ohmy:

Pamela
I will post a photo I promise

Oliveview

Re: Two pups
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 12:55 »
Sadly one of the pups died in jims arms at the vets, the other is there to be put on s drip. He is too dehydrated so has been injected with fluid under his skin. Later the vet hopes to be able to fit a canular and attach a drip. 
The place we 'rescued' them was we are sure the dogs home, but we could not prove it was the man's dog and not a pregnant dog he had taken in.  Hope little one makes it.
Pamela

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 15:33 »
It is really heartbreaking Pamela what people do to animals.  I hope the little one makes a good recovery. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 17:26 »
I admire you for your strength to keep taking these dogs into your home.....and heart. I am not sure I could cope with the heartbreak. Well done you.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 17:59 »
aww hope the other little one pulls through  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Oliveview

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 19:11 »
The  vet rang another volunteer, pup is still fighting!!

Pamela

Thrift

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 20:44 »
I admire you for your strength to keep taking these dogs into your home.....and heart. I am not sure I could cope with the heartbreak. Well done you.

My sentiments exactly tosca! It is so rewarding when things turn out well but it must be so hard when they don't survive. Fantastic work.  :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 19:57 »
It's really tough to see baby animals die.
It's amazing however, how strong and resilient some unwell animals can be.
Hope the little guy makes it. Sounds like a fighter :)

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 00:22 »
That's very sad and annoying but you have the right attitude towards what you're working hard for and you have to take the rough with the rough in your line of work  :)  It's easy to get bogged down if you try and right all the wrongs but you just get on with the job of trying to help your dogs. It's sterling work you do and the dogs will appreciate your efforts  :)  Hang on in there pup  :)  You too OliveV  :)

Oliveview

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 15:51 »
Sorry, been busy (and away for a night to Portugal) little pup at the vet died and 2 more that had gone with Mum to Barcelona.  Another 2 are not well.  I have not heard how they are.
We have an older dog that has Leish, a nasty disease, caused by a mosquito. He was bleeding badly from his nose.  The vet tried to get a blood test last week, but it was impossible, he is a big Mastin dog, hard to hold still and very strong.  Depending on how bad he is, he might have to be put to sleep :(  Also, it is the cost of the medication, the refuge might not be able to afford it, and to leave him untreated is unthinkable, as it would be a horrible death.
Apart from that, all the other dogs are well.

Pamela
 PS  One was re-homed this week :D

spottymint

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 09:16 »
Sorry to hear they passed away, been keeping an eye out for an update.

Sometimes life is cruel, but if they were that sick, at least they are no longer suffering.  :(

xx
more pics of pups

Started by rubymolly on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post November 12, 2010, 14:58
by Haychee

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 40 queries.