PSB question

• 4 Replies

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
PSB question
« on: March 25, 2015, 08:24 »
At last my PSB is producing lovely florets, except for where the pigeons have pecked thought the nets.  My question is does anyone know which varieties might have shorter stems that I can grow next year.  I had resolved not to bother next year as this years crop grew so tall the blue hoops weren't big enough and some of the plants have bent right over but if there's one that's a bit shorter it would be easier to manage.  I do love eating the stuff.  Thanks!

Salmo

Re: PSB question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 21:15 »
Rudolf is a little les vigorous but earlier so you do not get a supply of sprouters now when other greens are in short supply.

If you delay planting so that they are not planted out until the second half of July ( sow seeds early May) the plants are not so big to go through the Winter. Also avoid feeding until the Spring, if at all.

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 08:03 »
Cheers Salmo, will give those suggestions a try.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 15:54 »
I have not come across a dwarf variety. I don't stake my PSP. The plant sinks to the ground with the main stem resting on the surface. The foliage and florets grown up from ground level. Mine are no taller than the winter cauliflower. I keep the nets above the plants with canes.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 09:22 »
I was given two plants by a friend when mine were destroyed by vole tunnelling, and they are only a foot tall  :ohmy:  They look really weird, and are only just coming into bud.

Don't know the variety but I would rather have taller ones really.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 32 queries.