Pumpkin, Courgette or something else?

• 10 Replies

CSChris89

Pumpkin, Courgette or something else?
« on: June 29, 2023, 18:45 »
Hi guys,

My dad gave me a Pumpkin plant a few weeks ago which I’ve planted in one of the beds in my allotment. It’s now started setting fruit and now I’m not entirely convinced it’s a Pumpkin plant - it looks like more of a Courgette to me. When I had a chat to my neighbour at the allotment about it he said “Courgette all day long”.

I found out the other day the seeds he used were saved seeds from one of his mates at his allotment site when he grew Pumpkins last year. Not sure whether that could have had an impact if it was cross pollinated with something else. Alternatively, he’s also got form for not labelling so it’s entirely possible he’s got mixed up and given me a Courgette plant.

My dad and I have just been to my allotment to take a look, and he’s still adamant it’s a Pumpkin plant.

I’ve included some pictures I’ve taken this evening, would be grateful for your learned opinions.

Many thanks in advance,

Chris
IMG_6899.jpeg
IMG_6901.jpeg

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
Re: Pumpkin, Courgette or something else?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 19:27 »
It looks like a courgette to me, I think you need to be careful of saved seed from these and only buy from reputable suppliers, certainly dont use saved seeds that may be crossed. Others will correct me if I'm wrong  ;)
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 20:14 »
Definitely a courgette

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 20:57 »
The source of all knowledge, Wikipedia  :D :lol: :nowink:, says "The term pumpkin is sometimes used interchangeably with "squash" or "winter squash", and is commonly used for cultivars of Cucurbita argyrosperma, Cucurbita ficifolia, Cucurbita maxima, Cucurbita moschata, and Cucurbita pepo.

There is a C. moschata that looks similar to that, and I have heard it called "Korean zucchini".  So, maybe a pumpkin and courgette at the same time  :wacko:  ::) ??  If someone gave me some of those, I'd prepare them like zucchini / courgettes.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

CSChris89

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 16:55 »
Thanks for responding guys, appreciate it.

I think it may well be a hybrid of a Pumpkin and a Courgette as Subversive_plot suggested. I’m informed with a high degree of confidence that the seeds definitely came from a Pumpkin.

I’ve done a bit of research and it seems both Pumpkin and Courgettes are part of the Cucurbita Pepo family and can cross pollinate. Apparently if you want to save seeds, you shouldn’t grow a different variety of Cucurbita Pepo within 800m of the plant you wish to save seeds from! So KalisDad you’re absolutely right too.

That being said I’m interested to see how they turn out.

Updated photo attached. I’ll post another photo once harvested for those that are interested.
IMG_6963.jpeg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 17:03 »
Now it has fattened up it's a ........................... marrow  :lol:

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 18:03 »
So what is it... a pumpette or a courgkin? :D :D

Cheers.   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 18:23 »
So what is it... a pumpette or a courgkin? :D :D

Cheers.   Tony.

Don't the pumpettes dance at Radio City Music Hall in New York City?   :D :lol: :nowink: ::) :tongue2:

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2023, 20:25 »
A gent on the next door plot gave me a couple of pumpkin plants. Look what i found in the middle of one  :D
JDLC3379.JPG

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2023, 16:36 »
Is it a cross pollinated courgette and pumpkin then? I don't know whether to pick them or leave them to see what happens

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2023, 08:23 »
Is it a cross pollinated courgette and pumpkin then? I don't know whether to pick them or leave them to see what happens

The trouble with leaving them is you are never sure what you will end up with.  A plot neighbour had similar a year or two back and left a few.  They did develop hard skins and stored for a while, but when cut open they were all seeds with a very scant layer of what you would eat.  They were deemed too fiddly to bother with by his wife and ended up as compost.

If your plant is producing fruit that are OK to eat now as courgettes or summer squash, I’d pick them and use them.

xx
Pumpkin, squash and courgette.

Started by boddy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 20, 2014, 19:00
by Totty
xx
Courgette/pumpkin conundrum

Started by scousemouse on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2009, 17:09
by nilbynose
xx
pumpkin/courgette/marrow

Started by biosolids on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 20, 2007, 11:28
by David.
xx
Leggy courgette/pumpkin plants

Started by robinaber on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 12:06
by robinaber

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 41 queries.