How did you plant your strawberry patch?

• 2 Replies

green_fingered_ash

How did you plant your strawberry patch?
« on: June 04, 2011, 23:10 »
distance between plants, rows/double rows ridges? so confused, i have a strawberry patch which is a mix between being half dead, clumps of strawberry plants and runners and weeds.

thinking of the best way to clear the soil and re plant...

any ideas

kinds regard ash

Trillium

Re: How did you plant your strawberry patch?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 03:18 »
I did mine last fall. Totally dug out all the plants. Saved the best with soil around the roots, the iffy ones to the compost bin. Forked over the whole area, picking out all root bits, stones, etc. That done, I manured the lot. This spring I added wood ash and BFB, forked it in, then dug out narrow trenches. Added  compost, BFB, alflafa pellets and other good stuff. When my new plants arrived, I let them soak in water with transplant fertilizer for 2 days, then planted them into the trenches, approx one hand trowel space apart in straight rows. Then watered well every few days.

Once they showed good response, I backed off a bit on watering. Now I'll mulch them with straw as our weather is dry and I have clay soil. When they're older, I'll save only the first rootlet and cut off all the rest so the plant concentrates on bigger plants and berries rather than loads of tiny plants. the new plants will later get cut off and set in a new patch that will take the place of the current one in 2 years.

this has some excellent advice: nI_Wy2qpWtc

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
Re: How did you plant your strawberry patch?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 10:00 »
I agree with Trillium  :)

The one other thing I did was to plant them through weed control fabric which kept weeding down to a minimum and helps retain moisture.

Regards, WG

xx
New Strawberry Patch

Started by oldgrunge on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 03, 2017, 20:14
by Yorkie
xx
Strawberry patch - what to do next

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 06, 2011, 14:55
by gavinjconway
xx
old strawberry patch

Started by coco on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 27, 2009, 15:37
by coco
xx
New strawberry patch

Started by niclala on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 22:29
by niclala

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 32 queries.