Vine advice

• 8 Replies

AledE

Vine advice
« on: October 26, 2009, 14:55 »
As mentioned in http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=47190.0, I've inherited a greenhouse complete with a vine.

Do I need to do anything special with the vine over winter? Is it ok to leave him in there? He's in a pot and the soil looked a bit dry, so I've been watering him. There are about a dozen bunches of ripened grapes on him, what's the best plan for these?

Thanks for all your help!

fekq

• Experienced Member
Re: Vine advice
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 16:05 »
my other half is the vine-keeper at ours, so I'm no expert. but I do know he cut ours back this weekend. you trim them back each year to a certain height to encourage the growth next year of more fruiting branches. Although it sounds like yours is fruiting well already!

Dolce vita

• Wildlife meadow part of garden
    • selfcateringcalabria
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 16:16 »
I have a small vineyard here in Italy so my exp is in outdoor grapes but you still need to cut them back to have grapes next year. This is what I have read about greenhouse grapes. After harvesting your ripe grapes you should stop watering the vine and let it lose its leaves and go dormant for the winter. When all the leaves have dropped and the canes have gone woody, cut all the lateral shoots back to 1 bud. These will grow the new shoots for next years grapes as the grapes grow on the new growth not old wood. Good luck.  :D

AledE

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 16:21 »
The fruits are uneven in size however. I'd say about half are what you'd consider 'supermarket' grapes, the rest are quite small, green pea sized and smaller. Is this indicative of a shortage of sun?  Next door's apple and pear trees are a bit over barring , 'never been trimmed them in the 20 years we've been here', Carol, our neighbour said.

diggerjoe

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 17:19 »
I rescued a vine last weekend form the bargain section of Homebase for £1.99 (orginal price £9.99) when asked oif this right the lad said yes look its losing its leaves  :nowink: not really sure what to do with it now as its destined for a south facing area in the garden thats not ready. Can I leave it in the pot?

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 19:13 »
Major pruning of vines should only be carried out when the plant is dormant, Jan for me in Glasgow.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 19:21 »
I've had umpteen people try and describe how to prune a grape (outdoor) to me and I still haven't got it right. :wacko:

We moved one that was in a pot at home to the lottie this year and it grew very happily up the side of the shed and I know it will need pruning this winter but I've no idea what to do to it!
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 19:58 »
RHS advice  here......

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=286

I hope it helps :)

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 20:42 »
Hi, yes D J you can leave it in the pot you can plant pot grown vines anytime. Pot grown vines in the greenhouse once cropped can stand outside all winter and brought back in for fruiting, also pot grown vines after veration ( from green to red or yellow ) need no water. Pruning usually is spur pruning ie cutting right back to the main vine all the previous fruiting latterals.

xx
vine weevil advice

Started by moshi on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 09, 2012, 08:29
by New shoot
xx
Vine growing - general advice (first post!)

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 18:25
by robinahood
xx
Vine

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 20:06
by Carrotcake
xx
what to do with vine

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 27, 2013, 01:40
by Trillium

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 35 queries.