Goosey's past about to be revealed.

• 7 Replies

Goosegirl

Goosey's past about to be revealed.
« on: November 28, 2017, 15:45 »
I've just bought the Ancestry UK DNA test kit because I'd love to know from where I originated. Anyone else tried it? BTW, it was on special offer.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Fairy Plotmother

Re: Goosey's past about to be revealed.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 16:14 »
I got my brother to take the test so that we got the male and female line. I found it quite interesting.the results however are very wide. I can’t remember exactly but I can be traced from Africa through Germany up to Scandinavia and across to the East of England......I think. Will have to get the paperwork out to check🙄

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 12:51 »
Hi Gg, its been about a year since you told us about your delving into Ancestry.   How did you get on and what have you discovered ?  regards,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 13:49 »
Well, I was expecting some sort of analysis from my DNA that would tell me more about my primordial origins. What I got was basically a "map" that said most of my deceased rellies lived in Cheshire (which I already knew) plus I have some Nordic blood. Personally I'd rather have given the money to charity.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 15:56 »
Oh that was disappointing.  Will you try now to delve again, or will you hang that particular hat up for the moment ?   Mrs Bouquet

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 15:10 »
If I can't go back to anno BC I won't bother researching any more of my ancestry as it's not something I'm particularly interested in. One of my cousins has gone back to AD 1700 or thereabouts but my maiden name (Malam) can be spelt in various ways (Malan, Mallam etc) and I believe there is some Dutch and South African connection. Unless I have some skeletons in the cupboard I'll just forget it.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 12:39 »
If I can't go back to anno BC I won't bother researching any more of my ancestry as it's not something I'm particularly interested in. One of my cousins has gone back to AD 1700 or thereabouts but my maiden name (Malam) can be spelt in various ways (Malan, Mallam etc) and I believe there is some Dutch and South African connection. Unless I have some skeletons in the cupboard I'll just forget it.

Interesting!

In the biography of Bob Stanford-Tuck, who was a WW2 Spitfire and Hurricane pilot, (Fly for your life), there is a character in the squadron called 'Sailor Malan', who hailed from Rhodesia, and was a tough guy to boot.

I also know a lady with the surname Malem, who is a local chum!

I just love connecting names, it used to be my job when I was an arch-networker in the construction business, and I still itch to make a few work these days..;0)

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 14:44 »
There was a famous South African chap in their government called Malan who was PM between 1948 and 1954. Many people came there from Holland where the name is still used. Just looking it up, it was first noted in Sussex during Anglo-Saxon times and they migrated from many places including Holland and Scandinavia, so maybe my ancestors were Norse.

xx
Goosey's eye ops update.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

35 Replies
Last post January 07, 2019, 13:23
by Goosegirl
clip
Goosey's curio quiz.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

22 Replies
Last post January 05, 2019, 12:20
by Goosegirl
xx
Christmas past

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2021, 12:27
by Goosegirl
xx
finding your past

Started by chrissie B on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post August 17, 2018, 20:07
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 38 queries.