chemical ali?

• 3 Replies

ANDY OF ILFORD

chemical ali?
« on: December 17, 2008, 22:25 »
Got my (half) plot in October and half way through clearing it and installing raised beds. Plot hadn't been worked for 3 years so a bit overgrown to say the least but covered it with black plastic sheet and rolling a bit back at a time to clear. No chemicals used just a fork and a bit of "elbow". Covering and waiting for a year seems criminal and waiting 'till Spring to spray then allow it to work then clear almost as bad. After spraying you'll still have a lot of clearing to do (I've got PA1/PA6 certs. and spray at work) so why wait? Now is the ideal time to start and let Jack Frost help break up the soil. Whatever you decide good luck, but having got the plot you must have the patience of Job not to be down there already digging!

ANDY OF ILFORD

oops!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 22:27 »
sorry won't make any sense at all. Supposed to be a reply to Robac's "new allotment" post but being a right Luddite sent it to the wrong place!

Trillium

chemical ali?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 22:37 »
If you're planning on using any form of glyphosphate, it needs to be applied to actively growing green parts to be effective, which is why spring is a better time to spray. Most top growth now is dead or sulking and not able to carry the chemicals into the roots for destruction.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: oops!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 08:35 »
Quote from: "ANDY OF ILFORD"
sorry won't make any sense at all. Supposed to be a reply to Robac's "new allotment" post but being a right Luddite sent it to the wrong place!

I've put it in there as a quote, so I'll lock this to keep everything together.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Which chemical...

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2019, 23:07
by jezza
xx
From chemical to organic

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 03, 2006, 23:11
by noshed
xx
Oh the joys of trying to be chemical free...

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 22, 2014, 17:20
by tosca100
xx
Allotment soil PH measurement (none chemical)

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 14:35
by greenhead

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 33 queries.