Building a dust bath/sand pit for the chucks.

• 10 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Building a dust bath/sand pit for the chucks.
« on: April 23, 2015, 20:56 »
I have been trying to find a sand pit to use as a dust bath for my chooks. One with a rain cover.  They all seemed to be overpriced bits of wood screwed together with an ineffectual bit of plastic to go over the top.

My DIY skills are minimal, does anyone have any ideas how to bodge one together?.  And how would I make a cover?

Or, if someone can suggest a nice design that I could put in the upmarket bit of the garden,I could find a man that can, to make it for me.  This would be nice because I would get more chance to watch them.

Please don't put me in design and construction, I need something simple!

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Re: Building a dust bath/sand pit for the chucks.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 19:14 »
And I have found my own solution!  A lozenge shape B and Q wooden planter.  I can easily remove the base (4 screws), cover it with pond liner and use it for a lid/cover.

Mum2mj

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 22:01 »
And I have found my own solution!  A lozenge shape B and Q wooden planter.  I can easily remove the base (4 screws), cover it with pond liner and use it for a lid/cover.
[/quote

Sounds like a plan  :) can you post a pic when done?

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 07:38 »
Will do.

Beekissed

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 08:09 »
Some folks keep their eyes open for second hand pup tents for that purpose....they make nice shade and also keep dusting spots dry, but don't cost a lot.  They even make actual pet tents that are reasonably priced, such as this one....

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Pop-Up-Pet-Tent/dp/B00HJBX12C/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1430031854&sr=8-28&keywords=pup+tent

This one is bigger and appears more weather proof than the pet tent, for a similar price...

http://www.amazon.com/Plixio-Water-Resistant-Person-Camping/dp/B00FMZHDGW/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1430032050&sr=8-31&keywords=pup+tent

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 11:24 »
Chances are they will completely ignore your efforts and find a nice dry spot of soil to turn into a dust bath. :D

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 14:39 »
I have used a tent like the red one on my trips around the world, plenty of room in it, seems a shame to use it for chucks though, I would have thought a kids clam shell sand pit would have been ideal, it comes with a lid

Seen a couple down the recycle center (I guess the kids got too big to play in them)

This looks ideal :-)
$_57.JPG
It's all about the journey, not the destination

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 20:54 »
Love the clam shell; Argos have an apple shaped one.  But I don't think they're deep enough, the chooks will flick out the sand.

TanyaGibson

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 03:04 »
Hi Susie,

They don't have covers, but I've used a couple of old car tyres as dirt baths in my chook run - I just filled them with dirt and some diatomaceous earth.  They still like to bathe under the old emu bush when they're in the yard but the tyres suit them fine in their run.  If car tyres aren't big enough for your girls you could try truck tyres - most tyres places give them away so this option is cheap and effective!
Cheers,
Tanya

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 22:58 »
I have a wheel barrow half filled with soil. All three get in it and flick the soil everywhere. When I forget to put it out, or use it myself for the garden they go back to the hole they have dug where the lawn used to be.   To keep it dry I park it under the table on our patio. It works well :)  when I get the barrow out they crowd round it ready to jump in, but only when it has stopped :D  My birds are very good at breaking up soil into a fine dust
rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

Helenaj

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 17:52 »
I use a 35L Gorilla Trug - it's flat enough to allow them to climb in and deep enough to hold the dust. I bought it for £12.99 on Amazon.

xx
Dust bath using sharp sand ?

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 15:04
by Selkie
xx
sand bath

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 19:01
by Tricky
xx
Sand Bath

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2008, 21:40
by Chookaholic
xx
What is in a dust bath?

Started by Mitsy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 04, 2007, 12:48
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 36 queries.