always worth asking!!

• 14 Replies

lisa80

always worth asking!!
« on: December 11, 2009, 10:58 »
good old hubby! we live on a cul de sac with a lot of elderly neighbours ,one unfortunatly died recently and the housing association have been clearing her house out. hubby noticed that her 10x8 shed was missing its roof this morning so popped round and managed to catch housing lady who said that if we take it over the weekend we can have it!!!!she thinks the roof is still there but even if not its not hard to replace.she said it would save her skip hire and labour costs to take it down and its in really good nic so off to lottie it goes.just proof that its always worth asking  :)

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
Re: always worth asking!!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 12:01 »
Lucky you!  Am positively green with envy lol
1 lovely hubby, 3 dogs, a bunny and 7 ex batts and a shiny new lottie!  (so far)

lisa80

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:48 »
must admit we have been really lucky so far ,we were given a smaller shed and got a wooden playhouse which we used for a coop from freecycle. :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 13:06 »
That sounds like a result Lisa! :) Its great when you manage to be in the right place at the right time.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 23:01 »
I was offered a free green water-butt and tap last year if I collected and took it away. It was really appreciated and fitted easily onto the cycle trailer.  :)

It is a real rarity to get out for nout round here...
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 08:06 »
Nice one Learner, we're just pricing water butts atm as we need more of them and what a price they are  :blink:. OH found a website which told you how to make your own - worked out dearer than buying plastic things!  :tongue2: I favour getting two or three more barrels from the local distillery - we have one already.....  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 11:50 »
Nice one Learner, we're just pricing water butts atm as we need more of them and what a price they are  :blink:. OH found a website which told you how to make your own - worked out dearer than buying plastic things!  :tongue2: I favour getting two or three more barrels from the local distillery - we have one already.....  :)

There was once-upon-a-time a delivery of very nice, large blue plastic barrels to our lottie site. As they were free they disappeared in the blink of a wheelbarrow whizzing by.  ;)

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 12:36 »
I'll bet they did! ;) From where I work, dairy chemicals are from time to time supplied in 205 litre (40 gallon in old money?) drums, but can I ever get hold of any empties?......  ::)

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 22:43 »
I'll bet they did! ;) From where I work, dairy chemicals are from time to time supplied in 205 litre (40 gallon in old money?) drums, but can I ever get hold of any empties?......  ::)

Have you asked what happens to the drums once they are emptied? Are they re-used?

If not then I wold have thought they would have been pleased to have a few less to dispose of...

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 07:17 »
They go off to the dairy farms to be used/emptied. The trouble is I don't really feel I know the particular farmers well enough to ask  - just not cheeky enough  :wub:.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 10:27 »
Ar go on then.........smile sweetly and ask nicely. They may still say no, but won't be offended, and neither should you be. Just  take the knock back with a polite 'oh that's a shame.' As my mum said those that don't ask...don't get :)

Go on you know you can do it  :lol:

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 13:37 »
At the risk of us completely hijacking Lisa's thread  :ohmy:

Ar go on then.........smile sweetly and ask nicely. They may still say no, but won't be offended, and neither should you be. Just  take the knock back with a polite 'oh that's a shame.' As my mum said those that don't ask...don't get :)

Go on you know you can do it  :lol:

Oh OK then, I'll keep an eye out for the customers who purchase these large barrels  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 21:41 »
"I know this is a cheek but........ I thought you wouldn't mind me asking as I will understand perfectly if the answer is no but... I have an allotment with a shed and really could do with a large container to collect rain-water in. I wanted to ask what happened to the large blue barrels once the contents had been used... I'd absolutely love one if the barrels are of no value to anyone and there's a chance of just one for my allotment. I hope you don't mind me asking.....?"

All this with a smile should do the trick..... even if the answer is "sorry, can't help you because......." at least no one should be offended or embarrassed.  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 22:36 »
You see us ladies just need to smile, then no one seems to mind ::) :D

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 07:17 »
 :)

xx
£100 worth of plants for £15

Started by smud6ie on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post March 08, 2012, 14:33
by Ice
xx
Cheap seeds - worth stocking up

Started by Novice but totally hooked on Frugal Living

11 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 20:29
by Novice but totally hooked
xx
Leaf-mould from the street - worth it?

Started by Kevin67 on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post October 26, 2014, 18:17
by Kevin67

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 40 queries.