Monty on plastic

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

Monty on plastic
« on: March 15, 2018, 10:49 »
I don't know if you watched Monty Don on gardeners world last week when he made a point about gardeners using plastic I took that to be pots plug trays seed trays drip trays its endless

so should it take all my plastic down the recycle centre or maybe order  a skip because the amount  we have we will need a skip i don't think so  >:(

i'm mindful that there is a world wide problem with plastic waste but not i add from this country alone 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Monty on plastic
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:16 »
I think he was just making the point that it is better to recycle plastic as much as possible, eg by re using decent quality module trays, again and again, rather than the cheap ones that get thrown away every year.

When your existing stock is ready for the scrap heap, perhaps buy alternatives to plastic... We used to garden without using plastic, so a gradual change back to that isn't totally impossible.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 11:42 »
I think he was just making the point that it is better to recycle plastic as much as possible, eg by re using decent quality module trays, again and again, rather than the cheap ones that get thrown away every year.

When your existing stock is ready for the scrap heap, perhaps buy alternatives to plastic... We used to garden without using plastic, so a gradual change back to that isn't totally impossible.
I agree. I don’t think he was advocating get rid of plastics at all. I try and use all plastic stuff until it is deemed useless. I’m sure most gardeners are the same.

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 12:52 »
I use my cheap module trays until they fall apart.  When they first begin to disintegrate I fit two or three together to make them strong enough to last a while longer.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 17:58 »
I take your point we have enough plastic pots and trays to last us many years and my O/H is very incessant about recycling every bit of plastic

and we have still got some old wooden fish boxes in the greenhouse that must be 40 yrs old that where used for bedding till plastic took over

mind you there's plenty of plastic dumped in the hedgerows round here not everyone is up for recycling and its nearly a full time job for the council having to clear the mess  >:(

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 23:48 »
There is so much plastic in gardening.. Last week I celebrated my birthday and I got a lot of seeds YaY! Quite a few of them where in a 'box with soil and seeds, use once throw away' kind of thing.
I had a lot of fun today sowing all the little packages: the parsley, rocket slaw, coriander, chilies, basil, dill all in their own tub.. but I would never buy this myself: Just to much waste.

My parter will have a hip operation tomorrow. Because our plot is quite large, we discussed covering empty bits up with plastic, so it will not over grow with weeds, while I am tending to the rest. I am reluctant to buy it: because again it's plastic.. When we go grocery shopping, we buy package free as much as we can, but it is almost impossible. It feels a bit awkward to avoid little plastic bags and go out to buy 2 or 3 times 5x5 m to cover the garden..especially while we grow organic.

For sowing I normally use clay pots, but also in left overs from flowers for the baskets attached to the walls. They degenerate in about 2 years.
This year, for the first time I use the green house, so no pots needed :) 

I think it is good to be conscious, recycle and, for example, see if we can buy garden soil together with other plot owners in stead of buying bags all on our own. The same goes for horse manure in stead of cows in plastic bags..

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 22:35 »
There is so much plastic in gardening..
<snip>
My parter will have a hip operation tomorrow.

Hope it went OK.

Because our plot is quite large, we discussed covering empty bits up with plastic, so it will not over grow with weeds, while I am tending to the rest. I am reluctant to buy it: because again it's plastic.. When we go grocery shopping, we buy package free as much as we can, but it is almost impossible. It feels a bit awkward to avoid little plastic bags and go out to buy 2 or 3 times 5x5 m to cover the garden..especially while we grow organic.

If you have access to a bike shop, which has those large cardboard boxes that new bikes come in, you could ask them if they will let you have them instead of plastic.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 15:48 »
Thank you, the operation went really well! We planted unions together today  :D He would poke little holes standing up and I would plant and cover them.

What a good idea. I will go and ask and see how big the pieces are. Jelle says it will look to sloppy  ::)

xx
Monty on the farm

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post February 09, 2021, 11:39
by rowlandwells
xx
Monty Don's exit

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

21 Replies
Last post May 06, 2021, 18:56
by rowlandwells
xx
Monty' s Nigel RIP

Started by Tenhens on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post May 12, 2020, 13:22
by MrsPea
xx
Monty s Down to earth

Started by Tenhens on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2022, 15:21
by New shoot

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 48 queries.