Best potato varieties for roasting?

• 18 Replies

missmoneypenny

Best potato varieties for roasting?
« on: October 13, 2017, 21:51 »
Have never managed to grow a good roaster. I have done King Edwards a couple of times but the tubers were small and few. Could it be because of my soil (clay, but I am gradually improving it with lots of organic matter).
Any recommendations? i also grew Setanta but wasn't too impressed, they didn't roast well.

Lottiman

Re: Best potato varieties for roasting?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 08:45 »
Maris piper l would consider to be one of the best. However i cant get them out of my ground clean enough  ( without holes)  slugs do like them too  :mad:  lt all depends on your ground. If you have a garden centre local that sells loose potatoes it may be worth growing a few varieties. Kestrel was also quite a good one for us.
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 09:38 »
It really is all a matter of taste, as John says here in his choosing potato variety advice
http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/potatoes/potato-varieties-for-flavour-boiled-baked-roasted-mashed/

I know many people like floury potatoes for roasting, but I prefer waxy potatoes  :D so grow Desiree, which does well here  :)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 09:42 »
Sarpo mira do it for me. They make good chips and are blight resistant.

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 12:16 »
I like British Queen, Ambo, Kestrel and Wilja for roasting.

Mr Dog

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 14:14 »
We like Blue Danube (another from the Sarpo stable but less blight resistant than Mira), Elfe and Picasso

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 19:20 »
I like Sarpo Kifli, Kestrel and Charlotte for roasties.

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 22:08 »
I Like King Edwards for roasting and jackets. We have clay soil, but I get a good number of large size tubers. Used plenty of manure, horse or green and feed as I don't think itis the clay as much as having a good rich soil. Also KE tend to be more resistant to slug damage in my experience.

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 22:12 »
Have never managed to grow a good roaster. I have done King Edwards a couple of times but the tubers were small and few. Could it be because of my soil (clay, but I am gradually improving it with lots of organic matter).
Any recommendations? i also grew Setanta but wasn't too impressed, they didn't roast well.

Clay soil is usually nutrient rich
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 08:05 »
The Sarpo varieties seem to thrive in clay.  I've grown Kifli and Axona this year and both roast well.  Kifli is like a giant new potato and Axona is a floury potato.

I have grown Sarpo Mira in the past and they are good performers in clay.  Again these are floury.  Axona are one of the new generation and I think they are a real improvement  :)

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 15:25 »

I grow some Rooster for roasting each season, good crop, little slug damage and does not suffer too much from blight if I have it!

Tried Maris Piper once, almost all tuber were riddled with black keel slugs, so never again!

I have access to almost unlimited amounts of fairly fresh (unfortunately) stable manure which I mix in my compost bins!

I found that if I put manure or compost onto the area that I was going to plant my potatoes for the next season, I ended up with lots of slug damage and if the was any blight, this appeared worse than usual!

The perceived wisdom is add lots of organic matter,well it certainly does not work for me, I add compost to the ground after I have lifted the potatoes for what ever follows the next season!

Since doing it this way I get lots of clean potatoes with little damage most seasons!

Cheers!
STOP, and smell the roses!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 07:18 »
I see you're growing on London clay: are you ensuring that the tubers get enough water during the dry periods over the summer?

If they don't get enough, then they won't swell big
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

missmoneypenny

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 08:56 »
Thanks everyone, lots to think about. I suspect I have not been watering enough to get good sized tubers, something I need to improve on. Maybe I'll give the king Edwards another try. I think I'll just do a smaller amount next year so it'll be easier to water well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 19:14 »
as I  remember from my farming days the best potato for roasting  chips jacket and backed potatoes was a variety called record

slightly yellow in colour good keeper overwinter good size all rounder  we used to grew 120 acres for making crisps why not give them a try  ;)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 13:17 »
I have grown for the first time the Sarpo Mira which I have been pretty impressed with however for me my fave roasting spud is Ramano.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Which Potato variety for Storing for Roasting?

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 22, 2010, 14:21
by Salad Fingers
xx
Potato varieties

Started by allotment-bill on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 06, 2016, 08:52
by BabbyAnn
xx
140 potato varieties!!!!

Started by agapanthus on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 07, 2009, 12:52
by Iain@JBA
xx
Help with potato varieties, please?

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 11, 2014, 22:19
by Totty

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 37 queries.