Epilepsy in Dogs

• 4 Replies

lancashiregardeninggal

Epilepsy in Dogs
« on: May 06, 2011, 18:32 »
I have a 4 year old Border Collie and she has epilepsy (her fits are becoming further and further apart) and I just wondered if anyone else on here has a dog with the same and how they get on  :)
'Is All That We See Or Seem But A Dream Within A Dream'........Edgar Allan Poe

Thorby Bislam

Re: Epilepsy in Dogs
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 15:16 »
Had a GSD with epilepsy. Despite medication her fits became more frequent. Had to have her put down.

PhilDotte

• Ruskin Miniature Lops (rabbits)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 15:50 »
I've had two Boston Terriers with it.

My first one died from her first fit (she was in statis epilepticus) and fitted for 4 hours before the vets eventually put her to sleep.  I was told it was not hereditary and then her son started with it almost a year after to the day that she died.

He was treatable with tablets and after about a year was free from fitting, although I always felt that one could come along at any minute, it never did.  He did have to have his test done every few weeks and any change in his bloods etc would determine if he needed an increase in his doseage - which he had I think 4 increases before they got it under control.

In the early stages when he was first on the tablets, I could tell when one was coming on as the top of his head used to get pretty warm and his eye's would turn milky blue directly before it happened.

Its a horrible thing to watch your dog have to go through, but the best thing to do is just let them fit it out.  Dont try to restrain them at all - just make sure they are away from objects that could hurt them while they are in the fit.

I hope everything goes well for you and the dog.  The medication does help a lot.

Phil
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 15:51 by PhilDotte »
4 Ex Batts (Sophia, Dorothy, Blanche & Rose) 1 SLW Bantam  (Lacey) 1 GLW Bantam (Harriet) 2 Chocolate Wyandotte Bantams 2 Silkies & 1 Cream Legbar. 3 Pugs (1 Black & 2 Silver Fawns) I breed and show rabbits of which I have about 80 and judge in the UK and Internationally

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 17:01 »
I have had two neighbours who both had epileptic dogs, both lived to normal age and had a happy life.  The fits are distressing to see for the owners but remember the dogs will be unaware of what is happening to them and will feel sleepy afterwards.  Getting the medication balanced is important as too much and the dog can be dopey, too little and the fits will be more frequent.

Good Luck and enjoy your special dog
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

lancashiregardeninggal

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 08:24 »
Thankyou for the replies :)

PhilDotte - I know what you mean about changes in the eyes.  Mine also paces about alot too just before and after a fit. :)

xx
Fostering dogs

Started by twissle on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post October 03, 2010, 16:08
by twissle
xx
My dogs had a stroke

Started by kitkat on Pets without Feathers

30 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 21:39
by davethespread
xx
Dogs on beds

Started by tosca100 on Pets without Feathers

50 Replies
Last post February 28, 2012, 08:05
by Junie
xx
ringworm in dogs

Started by karlooben on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 13:10
by karlooben

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 35 queries.