Straying hens

• 8 Replies

M1CYO

Straying hens
« on: August 06, 2011, 18:45 »
Hi everyone....I am afraid this is another beginners question.

I have got 4 hens with a coop and attached run in my rear garden.  I have been letting the hens be free range and they all return to the coop when i want them to,  with a bride of some corn which seems to do the trick.  My problem is that the little darklings are getting more adventurous.  I have neighbours but live in a rural area and the hens have been straying into nearby farmers fields and also into neighbours gardens.  I dont want to turn my home into a prison camp with fencing all round my gardens but at the same time i love to see the hens wandering free in the gardens.

I have not clipped the hens as I had hoped this may give them a fighting chance if a fox gets too close but I am after any advice on tactics to encourage them not to wander from the gardens??

Thanks

Mike

Madrat

• Experienced Member
Re: Straying hens
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 20:55 »
What type of fencing do you have around your garden and how high is it?

We lost one of our girls for 3 days, she jumped/flew over a 6' fence.  They now all have 1 clipped wing.

M1CYO

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 21:40 »
HI madrat

The fencing varies from about 5 feet in places to no fencing at all where the property is elevated above road level.  I think I will clip their wings and see if that helps.

Mike

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 21:44 »
Make sure you only clip 1 wing, there are some helpful videos on the internet.  You need to fence them in or they will wonder off on foot.

brownysfp

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 08:32 »
I've a Copper Black Maran who can clear a 5' fence even with clipped wings; she's addicted to the woodland next to our field. Apart from adding netting I've no solution to her antics but putting a handful of feed down for the others brings her back in a panic.
Veteran of the Predator Wars

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 12:33 »
You could always add a 1 or 2 foot trellis to the top of the fence.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 02:31 »
HI madrat

The fencing varies from about 5 feet in places to no fencing at all where the property is elevated above road level.  I think I will clip their wings and see if that helps.

Mike

Are they going over the fence or just wandering away where there are no fences?  Obviously clipping their wings will do no good if they can just walk away!

I've never tried wing-clipping so I can't comment on its effectiveness.  But I was talking to someone the other day who had 5-ft fences and chickens that kept escaping so she tied plastic shopping bags to the tops of her fences.  The noise and movement scared the chickens so they stopped hopping on top of the fences and away.

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 03:19 »
HI madrat

Mike

It won't.

Do they have food in an attached run or under cover in the garden available ALL the times?  If so they won't stray far from that unless there's plentiful food in your neighbours vegetable plot. 

You've already identified the one thing which will attract them back t their house & run.  Look no further and don't bother with wing clipping which won't be effective as they don't need to fly and clipping doesn't actually stop them flying short hops onto a fence.

A net is better than a solid fence as they can't land on that.

In order for them to identify their ranging area there must be some natural boundaries defined even if they can get over them.

Before they become free spirits you need to imprint on them where home is otherwise they'll define it for themselves and it may now be too late to restrict their wanderings.  They will range over an area in which they can find food and feel secure.

HF
HF

Truth through science.

Dominic

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 10:40 »
Mine have never left my garden, despite being walking along the dividing fences.
They seem to "get" fences mean dont cross.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 34 queries.