New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

Hello from the Western Isles :)

• 8 Replies

Sinmara

• A Blaze In The Hebridean Sky
Hello from the Western Isles :)
« on: July 16, 2017, 06:02 »
Just a quick introduction - me and my partner live in Stornoway (Outer Hebrides) and have an allotment, plots in a polytunnel and 4 chicken. We will eventually buy a house and obtain a croft here, but until then we're experimenting with growing veg & fruit in this climate.

We've moved up here over a year ago from a hectic life in London, and loving it. The weather doesn't put us off (on the contrary, we much much MUCH prefer the climate here), the people are fantastic and I love the community feel. I'm a member of the board of the Lewis & Harris Horticultural Society and a Power Lifter, as well as a keen hiker and very much into archaeology (of which there is plenty here).

I grew up in rural Austria and moved to London when I was 25, but after 14 years in London I had enough of the big stink. Luckily my partner thought the same and so we decided to start a new, more simple life.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello from the Western Isles :)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:01 »
Hi Sinmara and welcome to the site  :)

You have made a major life change there and it sounds like you are loving it.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 08:56 »
Hi there, a brave move for you but it would seem you are already reaping the rewards. As you will find on here we love photos. Here's hoping you can oblige. Hubby & I were just saying last night that we really ought to visit the outer Hebrides😊, what a coincidence is that. Always liked the look of it after watching Castaway
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Sinmara

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 12:14 »
Hi Sinmara and welcome to the site  :)

You have made a major life change there and it sounds like you are loving it.

So far we do, yes :) can't see it changing any time soon!

Sinmara

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 12:31 »
Hi there, a brave move for you but it would seem you are already reaping the rewards. As you will find on here we love photos. Here's hoping you can oblige. Hubby & I were just saying last night that we really ought to visit the outer Hebrides, what a coincidence is that. Always liked the look of it after watching Castaway

It's definitely worth a visit (after all, we moved here after spending a week holidays here)!

Pictures from my allotment (these are already a month old, haven't taken updated pictures. Just imagine the red cabbage forming big heads, the tomatoes being twice the size and a ton more stuff having been planted...)

I still need to do a good picture of what the hen enclosure and our plot looks like, we've done quite a bit of work the past 2 weeks.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 20:28 by New shoot »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 22:37 »
Wow, those polytunnels mean business!

I remember watching An Island Parish on BBC2 when it came from the Shetland Islands (?) - and the need for polytunnels to grow plants that could be used in cooking (and also perhaps gin flavourings??!)

Welcome to the forum  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Sinmara

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 12:12 »
Wow, those polytunnels mean business!

I remember watching An Island Parish on BBC2 when it came from the Shetland Islands (?) - and the need for polytunnels to grow plants that could be used in cooking (and also perhaps gin flavourings??!)

Welcome to the forum  :D

There are plenty of crop you can grow outside here (soil permitting) - I'll grow fruit bushes on my plot once the bare root season has started :)

Some fruit & veg grow very well here - potatoes and berries for example!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 18:21 »
Hi Sinmara and welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing those pics. Looks like you are already really organised and loving your new life 😁😁

Your tunnels make our one look teensy!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Sinmara

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 05:37 »
Hi Sinmara and welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing those pics. Looks like you are already really organised and loving your new life 😁😁

Your tunnels make our one look teensy!

they are invaluable up here! Wish I had more space, my beetroot, red cabbage, kohlrabi & courgettes LOVE it in the polytunnel. Having a bumper crop of each of these!

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 39 queries.