aunt sally's mash

• 15 Replies

Selkie

aunt sally's mash
« on: November 03, 2007, 09:53 »
just a quickie to say that i've tried making a warm mash out of the layers' pellets (with added bits and pieces) like aunt sally mentioned (i can't find the post, sorry) and the hens LOVE it.  lots of excited rosey :D

think i'll do it as a saturday treat for them from now on

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
aunt sally's mash
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 10:58 »
Yes  they love it don't they, mine have just had their saturday treat  :evil:  they've just eaten my OH auricula's !  :shock:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

muntjac

aunt sally's mash
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 11:10 »
take 2 pints barley 2 pints wheat .1pint maize .dried peas or anything else you fancy that good for them .. mix it together in a bucket .now go and blitz it in your food blender till its a rough mash .no whole seed .watch it as it gets warm .. then put it in a damp prooof container n feed that every couple days mixed with warm water  to a stiff porridge you need to gauge how much the birds you have will eat depending on numbers ,clean up at the end tha day whats left and bin until you know how much to make  :wink:
still alive /............

ssatt44

aunt sally's mash
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 16:00 »
Hey Munty, that sounds like the grain mix I give the mule! To keep from buying a 2nd bag of grain, I let the kids share the COB (corn oat barley). The actual mix is barley,corn then oats with no molasses in it. You can soak the grain overnight in buttermilk and active yogurt. It is a great calcium pick me up and great for the feathers and their insides. I got this from a national level silkie breeder. I think she gives it twice a month.

sharon in az

Selkie

aunt sally's mash
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 16:02 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
take 2 pints barley 2 pints wheat .1pint maize .dried peas or anything else you fancy that good for them .. mix it together in a bucket .now go and blitz it in your food blender till its a rough mash .no whole seed .watch it as it gets warm .. then put it in a damp prooof container n feed that every couple days mixed with warm water  to a stiff porridge

but aunt sally's method is so much easier for those of us who only have a couple of pet hens!

agapanthus

aunt sally's mash
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 16:16 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Yes  they love it don't they, mine have just had their saturday treat  :evil:  they've just eaten my OH auricula's !  :shock:

Oh dear Rich!  :cry:  :wink:

muntjac

aunt sally's mash
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 17:19 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
Quote from: "muntjac"
take 2 pints barley 2 pints wheat .1pint maize .dried peas or anything else you fancy that good for them .. mix it together in a bucket .now go and blitz it in your food blender till its a rough mash .no whole seed .watch it as it gets warm .. then put it in a damp prooof container n feed that every couple days mixed with warm water  to a stiff porridge

but aunt sally's method is so much easier for those of us who only have a couple of pet hens!

but you only make enough to feed ya hens you just make enough of the base to make it werth while  :wink:

mules will eat anything anyways . :lol:  :lol:  :lol: .. fame at last with the national team ....  :wink: again  ssat

ssatt44

aunt sally's mash
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 18:32 »
no No NO!!! They are as picky as my @#$% 260 lb goat! The old man I lost last year at 30yrs old  :cry:  would NOT touch sweet feed, hated lucern, only ate grass hay. Trying to keep weight on him was a nightmare. The goat is real picky, if the water is just a little dirty (geese/chickens) he won't drink. Any feed that falls is lost as he won't eat it. Yes I did say 260 lbs. I'm 5'4" and he can look me in the eye. Good thing he's so sweet. I was told he's trained to pack and drive but I've never tried it. Mr Toad's wild ride LOL

sharon in az

mules will eat anything anyways . :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ..

muntjac

aunt sally's mash
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 18:37 »
lol but we had a couple many years ago dumped on us by gypsies and they would eat everything throw at them .theyw oul strip hawthorn trees of the browse .old hay n starw was a snack .ma's veg patch was decimated on more than one occasion .i remember we had a job growing turnips for  brocklesbury 's farm at .oh lord brocklesbury .and they jumped the fence and nigh on tromped n cleared a couple allotment sized lumps ,, they had stomachs bigger than they was wide lol ..... manure was an uneeded thing them few days after  :roll:

ssatt44

aunt sally's mash
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 20:55 »
Yall sure them wernt burros? :lol:  My old burro years ago looooved dry tumble weeds thorns and all but only dry, not green :wink:

sharon in az

muntjac

aunt sally's mash
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 21:10 »
horse n donkey crosses ?

ssatt44

aunt sally's mash
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 16:48 »
mule or hinney....half-assed either way :lol:

sharon in az

muntjac

aunt sally's mash
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 17:58 »
yups .. blody strong things tho  :shock:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
aunt sally's mash
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 18:24 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"

It is simple,  I'm using some layers mash at the moment but I usually use layers pellets.  I mix them up with enough boiling water to make a porridge, and Munty's suggested quantities are perfect.  5 parts mash or pellets to 3 parts boiling water.  I add to this any bits and bobs I think they need:  poultry boost (vitamins), poultry spice, finely crushed oyster shell, meal worms (just a few).  At the moment I'm adding some, vitamins, minerals and cat food for extra protein as Hattie is like a porcupine having moulted heavily.

ssatt44

aunt sally's mash
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 19:23 »
Do you get "fishy"  flavored eggs? A concern that's kept me from trying this.

sharon in az

cat food for extra protein

xx
Aunt Sally

Started by Yolky on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 12:06
by Yolky
xx
So sorry Aunt Sally ......

Started by dawninspain on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 13:06
by Viv
xx
Question for aunt sally

Started by chelle on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 08:19
by Bagpuss
xx
Aunt Sally's poo pictures

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 23:13
by wildwitchy

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 36 queries.