feather loss

• 5 Replies

tiff

feather loss
« on: July 09, 2008, 20:47 »
hi all, i`m new to keeping hens, i`ve noticed feather loss on the backs of 2 hens, tonight i found out why, one of the hens is sneeking up and eating feathers and skin. can anyone give me advice how to stop this, i`m very worried for their health, cheers.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
feather loss
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 21:54 »
Hi Tiff, welcome to the forum.

I haven't had this problem as my girls have always got along fine, but I read somewhere that the purple spray can help to stop this kind of thing...  I think it puts them off from attacking that area or something.

How big is their coop and run?  it could possibly be that they're too cramped in the space that they have or sometimes boredom.

Have you had them together for very long?  another thought is that it could be old fashioned bullying and the one doing the feather pulling is trying to assert her dominance, litterally hen-pecking the other one into submission?

Hope this helps.  Keep us up to date with how you get on with it

Su

Miller

feather loss
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 17:20 »
Purple spray is supposed to work or we used vaseline mixed with unfragranced baby oil when our littlest got her botty pecked - they took one peck and decided against it and we've had no problems since

tiff

feather loss
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 20:06 »
cheers, got some nibble deterrant, it`s for caged birds but thought i would give it a try. I`ve a large coop, they have the run of the garden all day so don`t know why she started doing it now, will let you know how we get on.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
feather loss
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 22:42 »
Quote from: "Miller"
Purple spray is supposed to work or we used vaseline mixed with unfragranced baby oil when our littlest got her botty pecked - they took one peck and decided against it and we've had no problems since

unfragranced baby oil eh?  oooh, not tried that one yet.  Will try it on the Amberlinks next time one has a go!  I usually use liquid paraffin in the petroleum jelly, but apparently its not easy to get anymore.

Miller

feather loss
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 12:50 »
Told you about the epic journey for liquid paraffin! Managed to get a non fragranced baby oil to mix it with as the others all smelled sweet and I wasn't sure if it would encourage them to it!

Use the baby oil on the horses mane/tail too as it's like wire wool and he's allergic to everything so hypo allergenic, fragrance free it was!  :lol:   Boots had it on offer too, 2 for something! Could have dropped you one in Grannie Annie - we came past yours last night on a death run to Citylink at Grantham to pick a parcel up  :evil:

xx
Feather loss

Started by Beano on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2014, 11:39
by Sassy
xx
feather loss

Started by chelle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2007, 18:04
by Aunt Sally
xx
feather loss

Started by Maeve on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 22:16
by OpiumEater
xx
Feather Loss

Started by macpee2 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 18:46
by daisy1990

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 36 queries.