sooty

• 5 Replies

rowlandwells

sooty
« on: December 06, 2019, 16:26 »
no its not a glove puppet I found a drum of soot about thirty years old in the potting shed and I thought what should I use this soot on veg or flowers because its been so long ago since I seen my dad using soot on the garden and I've just forgot what one can use soot for

I know soot was used years ago by many gardeners on there allotments so I though I would ask what to use my soot on that is the question?

how did I get my soot well my dad was a part time chimney sweep about five bob a sweep now it cost's me £35.00 quid and no soot  :D

snowdrops

Re: sooty
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 18:33 »
I personally wouldn’t use it. It’s not recommended these days because of the coal that was burnt all that time ago, not really something you want to be adding to your lovely soil. But different if it’s wood ash but of course you wouldn’t know what was burnt & gone up the chimneys your dad swept 30 years ago.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

grinling

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 21:02 »
wood ash is good, but not coal ash

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 09:43 »
we use wood ash already having a wood burning stove but not sure if soot is classed as an ash?

as I'm told soot was used on  brassicas crops ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 11:10 »
Some of the older gardeners dip the roots their brassica transplants in soot to stop root flies laying their eggs on them. Others put it in a circle round brassicas to stop slugs eating them. It seems to work..

Obviously soot was used a lot in veg gardens, in the past, as the soil in mine is very dark and warms up quickly in spring, compared to the lighter soil outside the gardens.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 17:06 »
that seems to be what I've been told happened in the past Mum and I have to say that advise mite be worth trying on my brassicas when I transplant them in the allotment next season anything's worth trying if it gets rid of those slugs thanks for that  :)

xx
Sooty Aphids

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 17, 2015, 09:35
by JayG

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 40 queries.