Possible prolapse? Help please

• 5 Replies

ferretkeeper

Possible prolapse? Help please
« on: January 01, 2011, 21:42 »
I just went to do my final check of the chickens tonight and noticed a wet area on the perch because it caught the torch light- I looked more closely and there is a shell-less egg on the floor underneath. when I lifted the chickens one had what looks like some sort of intestine hanging out of her vent. She is an ex batt and they lay enormous eggs compared to the others, and as I've been scanning through the forum I've been thinking maybe they're short on grit because the snow was on the ground for more than 2 weeks and has only melted this past couple of days. Normally they'd have every opportunity to find it on their own.

So I've got a dilemma, do I try and pull whatever it is out, put it back in or see if it will pass out naturally?

It would be Sunday tomorrow, and a bank hol, no way of getting hold of a vet til Tuesday realistically.

I'm going to wait til the morning and I can see what she's like.

Any suggestions out there? I have tried to find out about prolapses but from what I've read it doesn't sound the same?

Help!

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
Re: Possible prolapse? Help please
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 21:50 »
Im being honest here, i have no idea. I would normally suggest a vist to the vet but as its new year you might have a bit of a journey to the emergency vet thats on over (im sure there will be 1)
I certainly wouldnt try to pull anything out.

Personally, I'd bring your girl in doors and attempt to push it back in, Keep her in doors and she how she goes.
Sorry I cant be more help but heopefully someone will be along soon with more experience than me

Good luck and let us know how she gets on

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 00:08 »
Bit of info here, but definitely don't pull at anything

http://www.poultryhelp.com/prolapse.html

All the best with her
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 00:55 »
The prolapse is her oviduct.  Isolate her immediately and ideally bring her indoors to prevent the others pecking it which will almost certainly prove fatal.  Depending on the extent of the prolapse you can try to push it back.  Use some lubrication (haemeroid cream,  Preparation H, is ideal, or petroleum jelly if you don't have any).  If this is a serious prolapse and a long length has come out it maybe best to cull her but if it's just a smallish round protrusion it might be possible to replace it.   The problem is keeping it in place until it heals.  You might need to try to stop the bird laying  (keep it in the dark).  See a vet as soon as possible if it comes out again.

HF
Truth through science.

ferretkeeper

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 21:25 »
Thanks for the replies everyone, I decided to be brave and went back out that night, armed with torch, gloves and plenty of kitchen roll. I decided to try cleaning up around the vent area which was quite wet, and what I thought was part of her plumbing came away with barely any pressure. While I was there I noticed more fluid was passed but she seemed fine, not bothered at all. In the daylight I found what must have been the very soft shell on the floor of the house and I think what I found still passing through was the inner membrane that should have been around the egg, rather than anything more sinister.

All hens were fine and dandy the next morning, I couldn't even tell which one it was they were all on top form. Wish there were more photos of these sorts of things to make comparisons with rather than jumping to conclusions and thinking the worst! 

Oh well, another lesson learned!

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 23:47 »
In the daylight I found what must have been the very soft shell on the floor of the house and I think what I found still passing through was the inner membrane that should have been around the egg, rather than anything more sinister.

What you found is what's known as a lash.  It's a malformed egg with a soft leathery shel which is usually all shrivelled up.  This can be a precursor to her stopping laying maybe for good.  It shouldn't be taken too lightly as soft shelled eggs can cause binding and lead to peritonitis which is a life threatening infection.  The problem with lashes and shelless eggs is that they are difficult to pass as the normal rythmic muscle contractions don't work well to move the egg and the bird looks very unhappy and depressed.  Ex Battery chx are susceptible to soft eggs and laying problems after their first laying season.

Still this is much better news than a prolapse which is also a danger with such conditions.
HF

xx
Prolapse

Started by Chicken Pete on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 14:42
by PaulineM
xx
Help! Prolapse

Started by Maccbean on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 16:56
by Pretty Chick
xx
Prolapse

Started by Beano on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 26, 2009, 12:26
by Beano
xx
Help - Prolapse

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 23, 2008, 12:14
by Jellyhead

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 28 queries.