My Garden Project...

• 4 Replies

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
My Garden Project...
« on: March 30, 2011, 23:10 »
Evening all, I thought I might post up a few pictures to get some opinions and perhaps answer a few questions!

The pictures below are of the bottom of garden, a plot of irregular shape, but broadly a rectangle measuring 45ish meters, by 25ish meters.  It was completely overgrown by ground ivy, nettle and an unidentified plant, which is the first question I have.  The first picture is of the garden towards the end of September 2010, the long spikes with seeds on are the plant in question, i wonder if anyone can identify it for me?

The second picture is of the garden towards the end of October 2010, after a day or two with the strimmer and a sickle, Gareth, my OH's father and I had cleared an awful lot and were feeling quite proud.  We discovered an awful lot of Ground Ivy growing though and dark clouds appeared over my idea of just running a rotivator over the plot and planting!

Finally the third picture is of the hawthorn hedgerow that had been planted by Gareth and HIS father over 30 years ago to control the cattle they used to winter down there.  The pile to the left of the picture is what I've cut over the past 2 and a half day, all using a blooming tenon saw as the pruning one has rusted to pieces after being left out by accident over the winter.

In the long run, I hope to turn the plot into a proper garden, but before then I've obviously got a lot of work do, some years work I think!

So, questions...

1)  What is the plant with the long spikes of flowers?  Is it annual, perrenial, easy to remove?

2)  What is the easiest way to get rid of Ground Ivy?  I'm on a budget, but if it'll work I'll happy stump up for roundup etc. if necessary.

3)  If this was your plot, what would be your next step?

Thank you!

Woops!  Here they are:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 09:43 by N.WalesIdealist »

snowdrops

Re: My Garden Project...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 08:41 »
I can't see any pictures ???Try again :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 09:44 »
Sorted, I've put the pictures in orginal post at the top :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 19:08 »
I think the first plant could be purple loosestrife.

Look at the RHS advice re ivy:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=192

First steps - make sure that you have a strategy to keep on top of the weeds which will already be starting to grow back.  Whether it's covering up, constant strimming and spraying, that's your decision really.

Then take time to look at the soil, drainage, decide your priorities and take it slowly.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 20:49 »
I agree with Yorkie - take your time. Look for wet spots, where things drain (or don't), check depth of good soil and type, your own access around the plot, neighbours, etc. And you really will have to deal with the weeds before they seed. Strimming often helps until you can fork them out - but never try to do it all quickly. It's the surest way to disappointment.

xx
New Project - The Box v.2 (updated more pics)

Started by Riala on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 19:24
by Riala
xx
wet garden

Started by peanut on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 07:05
by Rangerkris
xx
My garden

Started by RobbieG83 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 21:50
by Spana
xx
Dry Garden

Started by catllar on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post November 04, 2010, 12:55
by catllar

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 34 queries.