My one and only chicken

• 9 Replies

redreet

My one and only chicken
« on: June 20, 2017, 11:35 »
Hi everyone.  I have but one White Sussex chicken which I rescued and I was just about to buy some more when at least six or seven weeks ago, my chicken decided to hibernate in her nesting box.  t first I thought she was being broody but isn't this rather a long time for her to be keeping herself permanently indoors?  She will come out for a drink and a bit of corn/pellets but gets herself right back in as fast as she can.  Anyone got any ideas other than broodiness which I dont think it is now?
Thanks,   Red Reet   

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: My one and only chicken
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 12:51 »
Broodiness can go on for weeks.  While you just have the one, shut the coop up during the day to stop her sitting.  She should sort herself out after a few days  :)

bclampton

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 18:28 »
Get some eggs from somebody and see what happens. If you have a facebook page for your village or area put the request on there and somebody will answer it or make a suggestion

Chrysalis

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 22:51 »
Our wyandotte was like this for ages.  She was alone after her two sisters died. She wasn't laying much and came out for a chat, but soon went inside again.
 My diagnosis was depression as hens don't like to be alone.  My OH was reluctant to get new hens as company for her, as she had bullied the other two before their demise.  Well, my OH is no longer here (!), so I got four new pullets.  Fluffy, the wyandotte, has a new set of pals, no bullying, and she's outdoors all day.  I call that a result.  And, best of all, I am now getting eggs from the new chooks!

So, maybe you should go ahead and get some friends for your lonely girl...... ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 09:58 »
Our wyandotte was like this for ages.  She was alone after her two sisters died. She wasn't laying much and came out for a chat, but soon went inside again.
 My diagnosis was depression as hens don't like to be alone.  My OH was reluctant to get new hens as company for her, as she had bullied the other two before their demise.  Well, my OH is no longer here (!), so I got four new pullets.  Fluffy, the wyandotte, has a new set of pals, no bullying, and she's outdoors all day.  I call that a result.  And, best of all, I am now getting eggs from the new chooks!

So, maybe you should go ahead and get some friends for your lonely girl...... ;)

Sounds like a successful outcome all round 😊, hope you have 4 girlfriends around you to cheer you up & go out with too😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 10:10 »
Could well be broody. If you are not going to give her eggs you need to break her of it and get her company asap. It isn't kind to keep her on her own so go ahead with your plans to get some more. You know you want to.  :D
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Chrysalis

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 18:48 »
Thanks Snowdrops, working on it! For now it's beer and strawberries! :nowink:

redreet

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 11:08 »
Thanks for all your replies.  I have kept her outside as suggested and closed the
door so she can't get back in and now I am off to buy a couple more for her!
Thanks again.   Red Reet

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 12:57 »
Thanks Snowdrops, working on it! For now it's beer and strawberries! :nowink:

Sounds like a good plan😉

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 12:58 »
Thanks for all your replies.  I have kept her outside as suggested and closed the
door so she can't get back in and now I am off to buy a couple more for her!
Thanks again.   Red Reet

Sounds like a plan for you too😊

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Chicken run.

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 13:17
by Roughlee Handled
xx
new chicken

Started by jakinpeter on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 11:01
by Jeanette
xx
chicken run

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2008, 08:52
by jimroden

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 40 queries.