Bees nest in shed wall

• 8 Replies

Big Jen

Bees nest in shed wall
« on: July 12, 2009, 22:46 »
 :ohmy:
There is a massive Bees nest in one of our unused sheds. They look like Bumble Bees, Black and yellow roundish bodies.
I thought bumbles nested in the ground and were only in small colonies? There seems to be millions of these. The bottom of the shed is built with breeze blocks and they seem to be going into these in several places and flying in and out of the shed through a mesh window.
Bit worried in case they swarm as shed is in my horses field. All you can hear if you open the door is a very loud buzzing and I retreat quickly. Will they just go away or should I do something?
Its a bit inconvenient because I was planning on using this shed for chicken accomodation!!!

Help please
Jenny

There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

Roughlee Handled

Re: Bees nest in shed wall
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 11:34 »
If you are sure they are bubble bees not sure what to suggest.   You could call your local council. 

Just to make you aware there are different colours of honey bee.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Big Jen

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 13:36 »
Do they come in black and yellow with furry bodies? If they are honey bees , does that mean they will swarm?
thanks
Jenny

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 13:49 »
Have a look here.
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/insects-spiders/bug-forum/?q=image/tid/24

I think they are bumble bees.  I do not know anything about bumble bees apart from they buzz loudly.

They will not sting you unless provoked. 

Flowerpower136

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 14:27 »
They sound like a type of bumble bee. Honey bees are not furry and longer thinner bodies.

We've just built our hen pen onto the back of our old shed which has a dry stone wall retaining base (all built into a steep hill).  And we've got the same problem.  Loads of bees living in it, and quite upset about the mesh enclosure they now have to navigate.

Mesh is 1 inch by 1/2 inch, and they're finding it difficult in full flight.  Sort of have to go sideways and limbo.  Gradually getting the hang of it though.  Clever little things.

Big Jen

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 20:51 »
I am finding these very scary because I am not sure what they are :(
I dare not take the camera close enough to take a piccy :ohmy:
Jenny

Big Jen

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 20:10 »
A very nice local bee keeper came and took them away tonight. They were definately bumble bees. He said it was very unusual to have such a large nest with so many bees.
It will serve me right now if my runner beans dont get pollinated but they had to go. My chicks are ready to go in the shed.

Jenny

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 08:54 »
hi, i think if you contact your local bee keepers group they may be able to help you. :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 08:56 »
hi, i think if you contact your local bee keepers group they may be able to help you. :)

??? 
See the previous thread to yours dizzylizzie or read below.  You may be like me speed reading.

A very nice local bee keeper came and took them away tonight. They were definately bumble bees. He said it was very unusual to have such a large nest with so many bees.
It will serve me right now if my runner beans dont get pollinated but they had to go. My chicks are ready to go in the shed.

Jenny

xx
Advice regarding a bees nest please

Started by Grecian Gardener on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2011, 19:52
by Grecian Gardener
xx
Kitten stuck in wall

Started by arugula on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 05:57
by jay001
xx
Bees

Started by Jilly Pickles on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 23:13
by jimbeekeeper
xx
Bees

Started by carlrmj on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post January 11, 2013, 22:03
by carlrmj

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 39 queries.