plum jam

• 11 Replies

alfieplot162

plum jam
« on: August 17, 2009, 00:13 »
hi , just made my first plum jam do i need to add pectum to it i followed the recipie on this site but i had it cooking for over 2 hours and it would not thicken up but it is still nice runny any ideas would be appreciated as my mate as a large plum tree thanks alfie

Janeymiddlewife

Re: plum jam
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 08:35 »
Hi - you might get more response on the cooking & preserving forum, however - plums shouldn't need pectin - I made some without putting the stones in and it set fine. Did you have it really boiling furiously, were the fruits overripe - if so they may have a higher water content and need a bit more sugar. You could try boiling it all up again - however, jam is always runny until it cools - it shouldn't need 2 hours boiling.
You may find it's like toffee this morning!!

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 12:25 »
i made some on friday and although all the recipes say they dont need pectin i used half jam sugar and half ordinary sugar and it has set just right.

Ourveggiepatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 12:41 »
Hi

You must user proper jam sugar as this has the pectin in it.  If you have used normal sugar then you must add pectin.

To test a jam for setting you take a teaspoon of the jam from the hot pan, pour it onto a saucer or small plate (plate should be at room tempature).

The jam should develop a think skin over the top and the underside should be normal jam consistency.

If you dont get the skin or if the jam stays runny then it needs more pectin adding if you have been cooking it for about 2 hours.

Dont forget to steralise your jam jars, soak them in boiling water then bake at the hottest temprature in your ovan to kill germs for about 15-20mins, make sure that you do not put the jars in cold water to cool them down quickly otherwise they will explode, just keep them covered with a clean tea-towel and allow them to cool naturally.

Fill jars and put a wax disc on top of the jam ensuring the jam doesnt come upto the lid.  Either use a bit of clingfilm over the jar before screwing on the lid tight (clingfilm helps to seal the jar) or use proper jam jar covers.  To do this wet one side of the paper spread over the top of the jar and secure with an elastic band (comes in the pack). 

Label your jars with the date you made it.

Jam should store for a good year like this, mum and I make jam and marmalade all the time and follow these principles with no problems.

Enjoy

OVP x

P.s I love Plum Jam

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 13:55 »
Hmmm

I've never put pectin in plum jam as they have a good level naturally  :D Usually only boil it for about 20  mins before it reaches setting point.

I do use a sugar thermometer and wait until it registers 220deg but you can test for set with a drop of jam on a saucer that has been in the freezer, as this helps it cool properly to test the consistency it will be when cold.

Good luck with the rest of the plums  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 16:30 »
my recipe book says add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice per kg of fruit.
but i think that's for more ripe plums.

alfieplot162

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 23:58 »
thanks guys ,i am going to make a new batch , i have just found a damson tree by a local railway were i walk my dog so i will keep you posted on my progress and i am going to add pectum for good measure thanks again alfie

tenderness

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 13:31 »
Good luck!

I'd like to know whether it makes a difference when you weigh your plums.

Mine weighed 2.4 kg before cooking

1.2 kg after cooking with stones removed.

So, do I add the former weight in sugar or the latter?
Tenderness

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 14:21 »
i weigh them before cooking but after the stones have been removed

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 09:47 »
I just weigh them, stones and all, as really they weigh so little in comparison to the plum flesh it doesn't make much difference IMHO  :)

Made 7lb on Sunday and it worked just fine -- totall delish  :D :D

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 10:16 »
The jam doesn't 'thicken' in the pan, it sets as it gets cold.

To test a jam for setting you take a teaspoon of the jam from the hot pan, pour it onto a saucer or small plate (plate should be at room tempature).

The jam should develop a think skin over the top and the underside should be normal jam consistency.

If you dont get the skin or if the jam stays runny then it needs more pectin adding if you have been cooking it for about 2 hours.

Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

matilda duck

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 10:24 »
I'm just making my second batch of plum jam!  I too have never used jam sugar! Plums don't need it they have enough pectin naturally!

xx
plum jam

Started by chrisgrebby on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 16:32
by VeggieVirgin
xx
Plum Jam

Started by sion01 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 11:12
by Sue33
xx
Plum Jam Recipe

Started by fayenz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 10:38
by chrissie B
xx
runny plum jam

Started by the newboy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 12:11
by capt nemo rtd

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 39 queries.