new fruit bushes

• 5 Replies

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
new fruit bushes
« on: February 05, 2015, 18:27 »
Bought some of the gooseberry and blackberries bushes from aldi. Due to weather been unable to plant them out. They are in the plastic bags. Will they need some water. I don't want them to rot but not sure what to do with them. Thanks

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: new fruit bushes
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 09:20 »
I would squeeze them into a pot (smallest that the roots will fit in, several plants in one pot is fine), fill with potting compost and give them a bit of water, and put them somewhere frost free - no light needed at this time, so shed/garage will do.  Not somewhere that is "warm" though.

Shake the compost off and plant out when weather / soil suitable.  Preferably by end of February, however if weather stays cold it will hold everything back, so Spring will be late, and planting somewhat later than in a milder Winter will be OK.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 12:28 »
Yes - do as Kristen says but when you put the plants into pots, put some soil/compost in the bottom then the plant on top, fill with more compost but gently jiggle the plant as you backfill so the compost gets down amongst the roots. When finished, tamp down firmaly but not too hard, then add just enough water to settle the compost down.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 19:20 »
This thread is good, I was going to purchase some today but thought... No, I am just wasting my money as it is too frosty to plant out.  Maybe just maybe I could keep then safe in my little shed. I just need to know if they will fruit this year or will I just be planning for frit crop years to come.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 09:37 »
I just need to know if they will fruit this year or will I just be planning for frit crop years to come.

They will establish much better if you don't let them try to carry a crop early on.  I would let just one fruit mature, so that you can check that it is the variety you thought it was and/or that you like the taste!

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 10:27 »
I just need to know if they will fruit this year or will I just be planning for frit crop years to come.

They will establish much better if you don't let them try to carry a crop early on.  I would let just one fruit mature, so that you can check that it is the variety you thought it was and/or that you like the taste!

Just one............... :(  I know you are correct, so it looks like I am going to have to develop some patience  :D

xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog
xx
Fruit bushes

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 20:54
by Ice
xx
Fruit bushes

Started by Chicken Pete on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2011, 16:03
by Chicken Pete
xx
fruit bushes

Started by jayneyredditch on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 19:49
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 38 queries.