Fishy question re wildlife pond

• 4 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Fishy question re wildlife pond
« on: March 31, 2018, 14:41 »
Almost exactly a year ago I had a 4m x 7m wild-life pond dug and apart from a load of aquatic plants, introduced a dozen gold-fish. The pond has since been colonised by frogs and there are several clumps of spawn there. But curiously last night, I spotted a small black fish, maybe 1 - 2" long. Is it possible that the quite mature goldfish have bred, or is the explanation likely to be that a trespasser has introduced it?

8doubles

Re: Fishy question re wildlife pond
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 17:29 »
Yep, the goldfish have bred already ! :ohmy:
They eat most of the eggs and fry but one or two always survive even in tiny ponds !
The black/ uncoloured goldfish can take as long as 3-4 years to colour up

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 12:14 »
Might pay to move most of the frogspawn to a fish free water butt or even move the fish !
I have seen a  1"  long brown goldfish literally stuffed to the gills with tiny taddies , it could not fit any more in !
 Toad taddies seem to be unpalatable to fish but frog taddies are breakfast , lunch and tea !

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 14:17 »
We'll just leave it to nature. It IS a wildlife pond and fish are every bit as wild as frogs  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 14:50 »
I've had my pond for at least 10 years now, and the original 5 all-gold goldfish are now around 8, having been up to about a dozen. Only one of them is now golden, the others are a mixture of gold and cream, and yes, there is one apparently fully-grown goldfish which is jet black (only noticed it last year as it doesn't exactly stand out amongst the vegetation!

Frogs continue to spawn there, and there continues to be heavy losses of tadpoles thanks to the goldfish. I like to think that some do probably survive by hiding in the tangled mass of roots of the flag irises and other marginal plants, as well as behind the planting containers and in the odd untidy fold of lining PVC.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Ain't wildlife wonderful!

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2019, 11:43
by mrs bouquet
clip
The things we do for wildlife...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2021, 11:02
by mrs bouquet
xx
A quiz question

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post April 16, 2019, 18:45
by wighty
xx
A medical question

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post March 24, 2023, 14:46
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 39 queries.