showing newbie and certificates all round!

• 2 Replies

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
showing newbie and certificates all round!
« on: September 23, 2012, 09:35 »
thought i'd give it try since my neighbour's husband keep on encouraging me to take part.

so here come the certificates for the local open horticultural show

2nd and 3rd prize for 'a dish of any other fruit, one kind' - conference pears. the judge said we only missed 1st because the size was a little smaller than normal.

3rd prize for 'five dessert apples' - coxes - again a little smaller than normal

3rd prize for 'one specimen cactus and one specimen succulent, max 5" pot or pan' (mine were miniatures)

my fruit crops really suffered this year. the weather meant the pears didn't grown to their full size in time and the apples started cracking near the stalks. i thought my victoria plums would stand a chance for this year's show as they normally ripen too soon but after a prolonged green period they over ripened the week before the show so even though i entered them they weren't uniform in colour. but the judge did say however, that he'd never seen plums as big as those in all his years of judging.

i really enjoyed the experience more than i thought i would and next year i'll take pictures.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: showing newbie and certificates all round!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 17:46 »
Well done Shetan  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
Re: showing newbie and certificates all round!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 18:05 »
thanks yorkie.

can be very scary for your first time. everyone seems to know everyone else and although they are very friendly - sometimes you feel too awed by their achievements to ask for help getting started.

i think i'll stick to fruit and plants for now and then venture further once i gained more knowledge :) well worth a shot though.

xx
Showing Jam

Started by MoreWhisky on The Show Bench

2 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 21:56
by MoreWhisky
xx
Showing Jam

Started by jamima on The Show Bench

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 11:33
by Spana
xx
showing veg

Started by drmoonshine on The Show Bench

7 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 12:48
by drmoonshine
xx
Showing toms.

Started by Pompey Spud on The Show Bench

14 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 09:29
by philskin

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 36 queries.