leg trouble with duck

• 4 Replies

pekinpete

leg trouble with duck
« on: February 15, 2012, 20:34 »
wondering if any member can help one of my indian runner duck has suddenly lost use of both legs went to lock up and noticed one could not move even when i went to pck it up,i think it could be duck paralysis looked on other sites and see it normally affects young birds as mine is four, is it possible it could be something else we have a vet we use for dogs but she is not knowledgable on poultry never had trouble with ducks before  worried it could be passed on any ideas please

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: leg trouble with duck
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 15:08 »
Sorry Pete don't know what could be wrong but hopefully one of our duck keeping members will see your post and offer some advice soon.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 18:19 »
I think duck paralysis usually affects younger ducks but don't have the duck bible with me (I'm assuming you mean 4 years old which would generally not be considered young in commercial terms).

Ducks are very prone to leg injuries and that can stop them mobilising. Does it move it's legs if you put it in water as they will often swim even if they won't walk or weight bear. A friend of mine had a duck that suddenly went off his legs. He was mainly a pet and was nursed inside and given regular baths and food nearby. The vet never worked it out and he finally got better over a couple of weeks.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:30 »
Hydrotherapy for ducks, what a great idea.   :lol:

pekinpete

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 11:11 »
thanks for replies have spoken to other people including indian runner club and they say ducks can suddenly do this if put some where quiet and they seem to recover tried this and it's a lot better once again thank's for replies.

xx
1 aylesbury duck with 1 runner duck

Started by thedalaisheep on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 10:29
by joyfull
exclamation
Trouble in the pen

Started by chucksaway on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 21:33
by drumcrow
xx
Trouble with a cat!

Started by Taygator on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 13:00
by animartco
xx
HELP ! this could be trouble

Started by chooksbury on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 14, 2010, 10:38
by chooksbury

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 35 queries.