Shed and wood preserving

• 4 Replies

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Shed and wood preserving
« on: August 24, 2006, 01:15 »
Hello!
I may have forgotten to mention this but we have a shed! it's in bits though. We're clearing the ground and laying paving slabs to support the main beams of the base of the shed. This is a secondhand shed, looks like it was lovingly made by someone by hand, very solid (and heavy!).
I have my doubts about some of the wood on the bottom. DH says the wood will be fine once it has wood preserver on it and it won't rot because it will be on paving slabs. However, I've seen rotten wood in my time and when the stuff is brittle and just flakes off, I think it's beyond wood preserver time.... Who's right? ;)  I think just the one beam needs replacing at least.

Photos I took last time I went there and tried cleaning lightly with a wire brush (I stopped on the rotten bits as the wirebrush was getting clogged with wood fibres!)

Will it be alright if we just slap wood preserver on it and put it down as is? I have this feeling we'll have the leaning-shed-of-Barnet as the spongey wood starts compressing with the weight of the walls and roof  :lol:

PS Hi Hubby do not grump at me for posting this, I wanted other people's opinions  :tongue2:
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Shed and wood preserving
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 12:20 »
Hmmm looking at the pic I would replace the very rotten bits keeping as much old timber as poss and then give it a good soak in preservative. I've seen much worse than that recovered so well worth doing. Good Luck
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

noshed

Shed and wood preserving
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 12:51 »
You can get quite cheap treated wood at B&Q/Homebase etc. I used some of them to support my floor. Probably best to repalce the worst bits now because it's hard when it's up.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

shaun

Shed and wood preserving
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 22:42 »
just one point on the picture heather
the tounge and groove are going up instead of across (i take it thats the bottom that as rotted)
so the rain is concentrated going down the grooves,its easily fixed by putting a timber drip on the very bottom to direct the rain off the base of the shed
as said below remove as much rotten timber as you can and replace
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Shed and wood preserving
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 23:17 »
It's inverted so the surface you see would normally be face down on the ground. and the whole thing is the bottom floor - it's not a wall which you seem to think it is?  Apparently that side of the shed was against a fence in someone's tiny garden so it never got treated on that side  :roll: what a waste.

xx
wood ash

Started by veg lover on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post January 11, 2008, 10:00
by veg lover
xx
Giving my wood the right treatment...

Started by Small Potatoes on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post March 07, 2008, 20:37
by muntjac
xx
Sheds. Metal or Wood?

Started by Bignij on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 23:15
by hindy
xx
Wood Burning Stove

Started by mellowmick on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post May 30, 2006, 15:47
by mellowmick

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 34 queries.