Pears...

• 11 Replies

Lily

Pears...
« on: September 23, 2007, 14:00 »
Behind the kids' trampoline (an eyesore) we discovered pears growing. Loads of them. They are big and round and very hard.
I would like to poach them in syrup or wine.
Any ideas or advice would be very welcome.

Also can you do anything out of rosehips?

Thanks

Amelie
Do not underestimate the therapeutic values of weeding!
1 dog, 2 children, 3 good reasons not to spread poison!

muntjac

Pears...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 14:19 »
pick pears when they drop in ur hand when bent up.....peel finly poach with bramble and syrup water and then bottle hot pour on more syrup n seal jars ............ and with rose hips .... syrup.. google recipes for both pears and aslo rose hips ,someof the pagan sites have great rose hip and wild fruit recipes
still alive /............

chrissie B

Pears...
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 11:16 »
i desolve a table spoon of sugar in some red wine , will depend on how tart your wine is , then bring to the boil drop in some peeled pears put cut side down first ,turn down the heat till just tender and turn over for a couple of mins .
take out the pears bring wine back to the boile and add some loganberry jam or cranberry , plum is nice as well allow to thicken and reduce by half arrange pairs on a plate pour over the wine sauce , its lovley hot but i pprefer  it cold with strainged youghurt in dollops around the edge , we just give every one a spoon and let them tuck in , its the greek way , if you use low fat youghurt at least 2% fat its good for diets too.
i have found if you can make day defore its
 even better.
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Pears...
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 12:44 »
If you have enough pears bout 4lb could try a gallon of pear wine or perry I'll see if I can post a recipie after

As for rosehips well they reckon make great wine I tried it foul went straight in the sink

Rosehip jelly or syrup may be a better bet sure one of the preserving experts will know.

Have fun
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
Pears...
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 14:18 »
I just googled for an image of rosehips. We've plenty at the site going to waste. Can I pick them and do something with them, or might I poison myself? Are they safely edible like blackberries, for example?
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

muntjac

ROSE HIPS
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 14:18 »
NO they have to deseeded and then cooked etc  :wink:

WG.

Pears...
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 14:20 »
Remember to dry the seeds for home-made itching powder!

Rosehip syrup : http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/food/print/recipe93.shtml

Trillium

Pears...
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 14:24 »
Over here rosehip jelly is very popular and nutritious. Same with dried rosehip tea. You'd need to take the seeds out of the pods to do either. Easy to Google some recipes for these.

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
Re: ROSE HIPS
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 14:57 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
NO they have to deseeded and then cooked etc  :wink:

What exactly do we eat, the flesh or the seeds. I'll pick a couple to dissect and study, lol!

muntjac

Pears...
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 15:08 »
flesh only  :wink:

Babycat

• Experienced Member
Rosehips
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 21:04 »
Rosehip jam is very common in scandinavia, as normal on the brekkie table as strawberry jam is in the UK, and can also be stewed with apples. Rosehip jams is a bit like eating apricots and very yummy.  Here is a recipe I have translated from hurdy gurdy.  

Rose Hip Jam
1 pound prepared rose hips (about 4 quarts)
1 cup of water
Sugar

In a large pan, add the rose hips and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until very soft--about 20 minutes (add more water if necessary). Press or strain the mixture through a sieve to remove any seeds and to reduce large chunks of hips. Add one pound of sugar (about 3 1/2 cups) to one pound of pulp and simmer. Check the taste and add more sugar if desired. Cook until the mixture has thickened to jam-like consistency. Pour into sterilized jars and seal.

There was also a recipe for soup which was same as above but using more water and cornflour but that just sounds gross.

Rosehip powder is sold in healthshops and is highly beneficial for people with joint problems such as arthritis.

x Gina
"This too shall pass"  King Solomon

muntjac

Pears...
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 21:07 »
had my first conference pear today .... seems strange but the flavour is not so intense as i think last years was ,,,, anybody else ?

xx
pears

Started by Little Miss Muffet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post October 07, 2007, 21:29
by reb
xx
using up pears

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post November 08, 2006, 20:29
by muntjac
xx
Bottling pears

Started by Sarsox on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 20, 2013, 11:08
by Mrs Bee
xx
Storing Pears

Started by Chicken Pete on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 26, 2011, 17:04
by Gandan57

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 35 queries.