Mattocks

• 17 Replies

noshed

Mattocks
« on: July 19, 2006, 22:07 »
Anyone had any experience of using these - sometimes called azadas?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Mattocks
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 08:57 »
I used one on a light soil in Spain and it was quite good but I don't know how useful it would be on my heavy soil.

A lot of times I think it is just what you are used to.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Fafafifi

Mattocks
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 12:47 »
I have one of these - I don't use it much though.

My husband brought me it back from France the last time he went.  He's Algerian/French and this is what he is used to using for cultivating the ground.  I thought it might get him to come up to the allotment and help me out, but no such luck!

Theres an Italian gentleman that I talk to at my allotment site and he uses one and also a two pronged version.  I got him to show me what he would do with it and he used it for hoeing in-between rows.  He also said he used it for digging out shallow trenches as well.

I have to agree with John though, I think its whatever you are used to because I still use my hoe instead of the azada, but I know whenever my husband wants to dig a hole or anything he just heads straight for the nearest pick axe or azada instead, he can't understand why we use spades at all!

Jake

• Rockers
Re: Mattocks
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 14:21 »
Quote from: "noshed"
Anyone had any experience of using these - sometimes called azadas?

Hard work but good work. I borrowed one to break up some really solid ground before the rotorvator could go over it.

Using one will build up muscle, seriously. I put on good weight last year through using a mattock.

I'm looking for one at the moment. B&Q don't do them but having said that the hardware store near work might have them. I'm going to look now.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

noshed

Mattocks
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 15:39 »
I've taken the plunge and ordered one from get-digging.co.uk. I'll let you know how I get on. I've got a few beds waiting to be dug after being cleared of stuff. Amazing how much sweat just doing that expends.
But I've got some lovely compost to dig in.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Mattocks
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 09:53 »
Old Boy "What be that then?"
Noshed "Mattock"
Old Boy "No need to be personal"

Do let us know how you get on with it.

noshed

Mattocks
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 16:50 »
Yes I'm waiting with bated breath for it to arrive - unfortunately I'm back at work on Monday so I'll have to arrange my schedule carefully as they say. (I'm having it delivered to my work address, so if I get any trouble off anyone I've always got something to brandish at them.)

noshed

Mattocks
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 14:35 »
It's arrived. And it looks very impressive next to my desk.
No problems from the computer users who sometimes annoy me with their daft questions (yes it always makes a funny noise when you stack files on the keyboard.)
Pity the boss is on holiday...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Mattocks
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 14:53 »
Complaints department? See the person with the big axe over there :)

noshed

Mattocks
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 19:02 »
Well I've had a go with it and I'm impressed. I dug two small beds and scraped a lot of weeds of the paths. It not only digs, it's like a giant hoe - chops through most things. I'm sure it will be useful for digging in manure and compost.
The only thing is - this weather you get a face full of dust as well. Definately not as much effort as a spade or fork.

noshed

Mattocks
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 22:38 »
Suprisingly good at digging compost out of the heap as well. Must get some pics organised.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Mattocks
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 09:11 »
Quote from: "noshed"
Definately not as much effort as a spade or fork.

Now that's a bit that sounds worth expanding on. Anything that saves some sweat has to be worth thinking about.

noshed

Mattocks
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 17:31 »
It's hard to judge at the moment because everything is so dry but It's like ploughing a field without much effort. It's not double-digging in a million years but it's easier than I thought it would be. I'm wondering if I prance about with it a bit I might placate the rain gods.
I could only get a few cans-full out of our tank this weekend and I'm off for a week now. (drinking in belgium - conference) So I hope my mulching is effective.

JET

Mattocks
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 22:12 »
Have just ordered an azada and right angled fork to use on my new overgrown allotment after reading your comments.  Has alot of woody perennials on it so hopefully they will come in useful.  Will keep you informed.  Is it worth using roundup first before clearing?

Jill :)

noshed

Mattocks
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 16:00 »
If you use roundup you'll have to leave it a week or so to work. I'd get as much up as you can manually and then spray the very persistent stuff later. I must say I've found mine surprisingly good at tearing into the weeds and with the soil being a bit damper now they come up more easily.
You get lots of lovely compost material too.

xx
Azada and mattocks

Started by loubylou29 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2007, 18:42
by vron

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 34 queries.