Pet Insurance

• 12 Replies

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Pet Insurance
« on: February 08, 2010, 00:02 »
I keep meaning to get the moggies insured, especially as Mac cost us a few pennies when he got run over last year!

Can anyone recommend a good one? There are just sooo many to choose from now and their policies differ soooo much!!!

I know a lot of them don't cover cats over a certain age but as my 3 are all under 3 I think it's now a necessity!

Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Pet Insurance
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 18:38 »
I am with More Than which cost about £9 a month for my 3 year od boy who has definately had his money's worth out of them with all the problems he had last year. For my 16 year old cat it went up to just under £20 per month and she never cost them a penny!

They have paid up promptly and didn't quibble over readmissions with the same illness which some of them do apparently.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

janet12000

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 18:50 »
I have Tesco pet insurance. £17 ish a month for the lot of them. (3 cats and dog)
Its not the mega mega cover which would cover them for life if they were ever diagnosed with a major illness but its what I can afford. It covers them for a year of treatment if god forbid anything awful were to be diagnosed.
if I was disciplined enough with money putting away £17 a month would probably cover any vet bills, but I'm not.  :)
Routine vaccinations are not covered.
I think pet plan is the most comprehensive, but it is well expensive.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 18:55 »
I'm with tesco for Olliepops and that is £16+ per month but that is because her breed are known to have problems (joints, skin and eyes), Charliepoo isn't insured and as she is now over 9 we cant get any. We did have to fork out for her 11/2 years ago when she had pyometria but think it cost less than insurance would have been over the years. However she does now have to go back to the vets as we have discovered a lump in her ear.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Parsnip

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 19:13 »
I am with More Than which cost about £9 a month for my 3 year od boy who has definately had his money's worth out of them with all the problems he had last year. For my 16 year old cat it went up to just under £20 per month and she never cost them a penny!

They have paid up promptly and didn't quibble over readmissions with the same illness which some of them do apparently.

I'd thoroughly recommend them too :D

We have the dog and the  cats with them...thankfully we've not had to use it much, but when Bear was diagnosed with his Lymphoma a couple of years ago...they were superb!

We just filled in the forms, gave them to the vet, they did their bit and sent  it off. They covered everything! When hubby phoned them, with one or two queries they were really helpful.. we got payment back very promptly too... 8)

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 21:45 »
Just don't go with Sainsburys Bank.... they sent me a letter confirming they had received a complaint from me and my cremation claim form for Thorsy and then at the bottom of the letter said they hoped Thorsy was now feeling much better  :mad: >:( :mad: It made me cry I was that upset and annoyed with them - I had an urge to write and say "Oh yes Thorsy is feeling much better for being cremated, maybe you would like the same doing to you to perk you up?!?"! They took 3 months to finalise a claim for his asthma and even now they still havent finalised my claim for his cremation from 01 January this year. They have apologised for the letter and are sending me £50 voucher, but I would still never use them again as they are so slow on claims.

Tesco's have just settled my neighbours £800 claim within 10 days of being submitted (their cat had to have a leg taken off after a very nasty accident). I have now swapped my lot to Tesco (I had seven with Sainsburys and only Shia is still with them as she has had a claim and a new policy wont cover her). I pay £33 for 6 cats on the top level life cover now with Tesco with ages from 1-6 years on the policy (I've saved £25 swapping them as well so stuff Sainsburys Bank!!!).

Jodie A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 22:06 »
Ask at the vet's surgery, which company they find the most helpful, most comprehensive and less likely to nit pick over a claim.

If your vet's have a good rapport with a certain insurer, you will know they will be more flexible towards any incidents.

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 16:38 »
Please try AXA they are very very good, year condition up to £7000
We were with Pet Plan/Pals but there cover is no where as good, just look them up on the AXA web site. Make sure it's a for life not total for condition that's where they catch you out.
Our CKCS had cancer and the cover for Pet Plan was £5000 (we went way over that for her treatment) where as AXA would of been for £7000 but we can't change as it's a known condition. She in remission at the moment so fingers crossed!. Our other two CKCS are with AXA and are very good.
All the best.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 16:35 »
Many thanks for all your replies...

I'll do some investigating with the companies you've given me and get some quotes this weekend.  :D

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 16:31 »
Don't go with Pet Plan, i am taking them to the Financial Ombudsman at the moment to get them to pay out, as my dog has HD and they are refusing to pay for his op!
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

janet12000

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 16:50 »
Don't go with Pet Plan, i am taking them to the Financial Ombudsman at the moment to get them to pay out, as my dog has HD and they are refusing to pay for his op!

sorry, what's HD?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 17:00 »
hip dysplasia I think Janet (I've had GSDs with it - not nice  :().

Hawkins

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 21:34 »
im with tesco on there top cover we pay £22.00 a month for 2 cats and a dog.

Its really iomportant to get the illness for life cover as if a pet is diagnosed with asthma or diabetes for instance there is a lot of medication coming your way so you need the insurance to pay for it.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

wireless
Cat Insurance help please

Started by titch on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 11:57
by bayleaf
xx
Pet insurance renewal

Started by Tenhens on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 08:25
by Auntiemogs
xx
Vets fees and insurance excesses

Started by Optimistic Gardener on Pets without Feathers

10 Replies
Last post March 17, 2012, 21:17
by Dawnuss

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 33 queries.