Dogs and frozen water!!!

• 4 Replies

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Dogs and frozen water!!!
« on: January 10, 2010, 17:31 »
Please all dog owners keep an eye on your dogs at the moment when out walking near frozen water. My friend and I helped a lady rescue her springer spaniel on our local canal who went on then through the ice. With the help of a local farmer, his tractor and a very long lader we managed to get him out after a dreadfull 3/4 of an hour in the water! We thought he may be a gonner but did not give up. If in dought that your dog may run on to the ice, please put it on a lead till safe to let off. Today could have had a horrid outcome!
mrs.ploppy

Rubellite

Re: Dogs and frozen water!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 18:28 »
Well done Mrs P for helping to save the Springer. It's owner must have been beside herself.  :(

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 18:33 »
It was touch and go for some time as he could have given up or get swept under the ice. I think if it was any other breed than a spinger, it may well have drowned as they can take cold water and are really tough. It was getting to the stage where I was going to stip off and wade in.....dont like the cold but would have done it and tied the rope round me and just got in. The owner had 2 other dogs with her that thought it was a bit of a game. Just shows the dangers of frozen water. Other owners beware!

karlooben

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 19:35 »
i know what u mean , we have a common pond near us that is dangerous at the best of times but at the mo its about 6 foot above its normal level as its fed by the natural water table we are on . last year about 8 dogs went on the ice but all survived that i know of but i know that the firemen went to the pond 3 times in oneday an even mentioned to me that were getting annoyed by it . thankfully my dogs dont go near it at this time of the year but i have seen dogs just run away from the other side of the common an dive onto the water not knowing its icy , and today there was another person die by trying to get his dogs back from the river tees  :(.

not to sure if i am more annoyed for dog owners not be sensible or the kids that think its great fun cycling on it .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Parsnip

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 10:24 »
Well done you! That must have been awful, I know  I would have found that very distressing. :( Thank god the little dog is ok :happy:

xx
Frogspawn frozen

Started by hubballi on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post March 12, 2013, 13:23
by 8doubles
question
Can dogs eat raw eggs?

Started by Pretty Chick on Pets without Feathers

15 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 07:57
by gsc
xx
barking dogs!

Started by mumofstig on Pets without Feathers

28 Replies
Last post December 03, 2010, 20:09
by Tigerwren
xx
my dogs have some thing to say..

Started by gizooty on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post December 06, 2009, 20:17
by too many girls

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 34 queries.