Cat advice please

• 15 Replies

Hawkins

Cat advice please
« on: January 09, 2010, 16:47 »
Our little kitten rescued before Christmas is now 5 months old and the past week she has been very, very quiet and hunched up and occasionally limping in her back end.

We took her to the vets and he pulled her around and checked her all over and said it was because she is maturing and her body is going through girly cat changes that she is just off colour and will be fine as soon as she is spayed. ( which is as soon as I can get a few days off to look after her)

We have had female cats before but I have never seen any of them behave like this. Anyone else had similar problems as there baby girls are maturing.

Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: Cat advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 17:49 »
Hi there! yes our Tiggs went very quiet around 4-5 months old come to think of it, and our vet said the same as its like puberty for them. Tiggs was spayed at 6 months but we kept her in untill after she was spayed which is what we are going to do with the kitbits even though our vet said that 1 week after their vacs they could go out  :ohmy:
Being a girl is hard sometimes  :happy:

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawkins

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 17:53 »
if it is anything like when I was maturing she must be going thru hell. Poor baby.

They can be done from 4 months on as long as the vet thinks she is big enough so the sooner the better for her sake.

Im a little annoyed as when I rescued her from a fosterer for the cats protection they said they would give me a voucher towards her spay and now because the the fosterer has fallen out with the cats protection league co-ordinator for the area they wont give me the voucher.

Never mind she is being done no matter but I seem to have loads of vet bills in January and its only the 9th today.

Animals whod have them. ME ME ME

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 18:05 »
Not sure about this, if there is a pronounced limp or weakness I would suspect she has injured herself and is a bit bruised, maybe around her pelvis.

Hawkins

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 18:14 »
I know what you mean foxy thats what we though originally she might have slipped jumping out of a tree etc but vet couldnt find anything. She just has lots of little symptoms that all dont match.

Im hoping to get her in to be spayed next week and see where we go from there. They know me by voice at the vets. In one way its a good thing as we have a fab relationship with them but in another way im obviously giving them too much money or have too many pets.

too many girls

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 18:18 »

if it is anything like when I was maturing she must be going thru hell. Poor baby.

i know this is completely off topic but a bit relevent

when my son James was 9 he got terrible pains in his knees, it gradually got worse until he was crippled (to the point where he had to be helped out of bed) after many tests he was diagnosed with infantile arthritis, they gave him a wheel chair :( we were devasted, but not as devastated as James when they told him he could never ride his horse again, it wasn't until i cancelled his (very expensive) riding lessons that his instuctor mentioned her dad was a doctor and would be willing to examine James............... it wasn't arthritis but a condition that was prominent in pre pubescent boys who where active either riding or skiing (can't remember the name, sorry) James recovered fully, we still refer to his wheel chair episode as growing pains.
 when Sam said he had pain in his knees, we gave him a break from riding but no sympathy :D

Hawkins

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 18:21 »
Thanks TMG I know what your saying.

I think Little willow may have growing pains but im a paranoid mum and will be keeping a very close eye on her.

madcat

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 18:22 »
They know me by voice at the vets. In one way its a good thing as we have a fab relationship with them but in another way im obviously giving them too much money or have too many pets.
I worry that the garage is the same with me!   :ohmy:  And we only have 2 reliable cars ...  so it must be that some people are good at remembering voices ..  I hope.

Our girl we had through 4 - 5 mnth period (the others were slightly older when they came to us) got really stroppy and sorry for herself... classic top of the line teenager.  And she didn't think before she did ..  so it would be easy for a slight problem to become drama ..
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 18:22 »
now you mention that I had terrible crippling pains in my knees when i was about 13-14 and was refered to the hospital for tests (camera inside of knee) just turned out that as I was growing the back  of my kneecaps were rough and causing pain! after a couple of months i was fine!!??? whenever Thomas moans about a pain in his legs/knees/ankles etc we just say its just growing pains!!!

too many girls

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 19:22 »
with people (especially children) i think a lot of it is psychosamatic,
many years ago we had friends who came to stay who's 7 yr old son was asthmatic and allergic to practically everything, he had the most terrible exma and was covered in sores, his face, knees, elbows, ankles............. almost on every part of his body his skin was cracked and bleeding, at night in his sleep he scratched and scratched and bled................ my mother nearly had a breakdown the first night she baby sat for him, she tried everything to keep his mind off the itchiness, the poor child was in agony,
after a few days he started to get better, we took him with us to the local show (giving his mum and dad a break) he had a great time, we took him on the pony rides and all the funfair games, when we got back home he was desperate to have a ride on our pony Noddy, so........... the next day i tacked up the long retired Noddy (my pony when i was little) and took him for a ride, he loved it, his breathing was fine, his skin was fine, he was fine, he cuddled Noddy and told him " i love you"  it was hours later when his mother asked him what had he'd been doing that day and he told her, she screamed at me "you've had him near a pony?" when i told her he had ridden she went ballistic, she yelled at me that he was allergic to all animals and i had no buisness putting him at risk, at that exact moment he started to breathe funny, panting and gasping.....................
6 months later his mother died from a brain hemorrhage.............
2 years later his father remarried............
Simon's step mother was never told about Simon's allergies and she had many pets, i've been told he out grew his asthma and exma and is now perfectly normal,
i know a lot of people have genuine problems, but for that little boy he probably was allergic.............at the beginning ..........but his mother (in his best interests) i think kept him allergic..............
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 19:36 by TMG »

Hawkins

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 19:43 »
Oh Rom thats sad for the little boy, glad he grew up and out of his allergies though.

My mum is severley asthmatic and we were not supposed to have any animals but we ended up with loads. ( and the number seems to keep growing)

Hey perhaps Willow is allergic to us. She has a Human Allergy. ( I hope not love her)

karlooben

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 21:23 »
i have never heard of cats having this prob yet i have had female cats thoughout my life an worked in kennels that had catterys . strange how u never hear about some things in life  :lol: :lol: my female cat went from kitten to mummy at a very very young age she was part feral and ended up getting pregant, within a week of the birth of the first lot she  was pregant again then it  then happened a third time  :ohmy: she had 17 kittens one lot after the other final she stayed away from this tom { god knows where he came from  } and we managed to get her spayed , but the vet was like why didnt u come to us with the kittens at the time for some reason there was a rush on ppl wanting kittens but i wasnt about to let my cat get pregant again hehehe i had had enough of the toes being eaten at 3 am each morning once the kittens knew what teeth were  :lol: .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 22:05 »

Im a little annoyed as when I rescued her from a fosterer for the cats protection they said they would give me a voucher towards her spay and now because the the fosterer has fallen out with the cats protection league co-ordinator for the area they wont give me the voucher.

Not on at all, PM me your details and I'll request you one from our center - I need name, address, cats name, cats age and male/female in the PM please. I just popped one request through for TMG so I'll just tag this one in with it for you  :)

Rubellite

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 18:53 »
Adding to TMG but sorry to go off subject..............

When I was about 19 my parents had our old dog pts. I was devastated and shortly after developed a cough that the doctor's eventually decided was asthma. I was advised to get rid of all my pets. Not on your nelly   :blink:
I wheezed my way through a good few years but managed to overcome the problem, thankfully. I do avoid chemicals, though, stuff like oven cleaner particularly, sets me off  ???
My kids grew up with dust, dirt, dog hairs and minimal cleaning, poor things  ::)

madcat

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 19:17 »
Good for them - best start in life!   :D :D :D

xx
bee advice

Started by mrsbean on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 11:01
by Snoop
xx
Bee advice please

Started by domw001 on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post July 29, 2013, 11:41
by ANHBUC
xx
Advice re new kitten

Started by chuckmad on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 12:24
by chuckmad
xx
kitten advice

Started by massa on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 18:11
by Snap Dragon

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 35 queries.