guinea pig help please...now with photos

• 21 Replies

dizzylizzie

guinea pig help please...now with photos
« on: December 29, 2009, 19:42 »
hi, i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on guinea pigs please?. we were supposed to be getting a couple of 5 week old boys the end of this week. a friend of a friend bought a pregnant one by mistake, ended up with 4 babies, she said there were 2 boys and 2 girls. she wanted the girls, so we said we would have the boys. we have everthing ready, we are all excited, and she rings to day to say the vet has sexed them, she only has 1 boy, do we still want him?  my question is, is it not cruel to keep just 1 by himself, if so , how hard would it be to introduce another boy, who isnt from the same family? would they fight, or because they are only young would they be ok? thanks in advance, lizzie  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 19:47 by dizzylizzie »

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Re: guinea pig help please
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 19:46 »
Hi
It really does depend on the character of the piggy sometimes.  The younger the better but you will always have a more dominant on who will boss the other either a lot or a little. Bare this in mind when getting another.  They prefur company of others to be on their own.
mrs.ploppy

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 19:52 »
You would need at least two, put them into holding cages for 3 weeks to ensure you have no diseases in either, dont use the new hutch until after they come together.

After three weeks set up a run in the house on a large sheet to avoid small accidents, provide lots of toys and hay and treats. pop them in and sit back, you will hear lots of rumblings and see lots of jumps and strange behaviour, dont seperate this is normal.

The only time to seperate is if serious blood shed happens. once all is calm pop them into the nice new clean hutch and enjoy getting to know them.

I had 8 but we lost one recently we now have seven all girls  :happy:

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 20:01 »
Hi Beetroot Queen
My children have had guinea pigs when younger we did start with 2 brothers but as they got older they did fight so we separated them and got a little girl piggy and a rabbit for company, we did have babies and were lucky enough to rehome them so if you dont want babies would you consider a rabbit as company?

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 20:09 »
Hi, i know lots of people keep rabbits and piggies together without problems , but your not supposed to because rabbits carry a bacteria that is dangerous to piggies, but they can also cause damage from kicking the piggy....that said, i keep a turkey with my chickens, your not supposed to do that either.....but hey ho, it works for us.....so far!
thanks for the idea tho, we did want another pig.....maybe another 2, but not sure on putting them together....should i look for ones that are younger than the one we are getting, or is it a bad idea in general?
thanks, lizzie  :lol:

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 20:09 »
Dizz already has a lovely rabbit, also known as a fluff ball gremlin, so maybe that would be the best way - keep them together?

Sorry, just saw you reply  :D

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 20:15 »
lol :lol:
i did think about that Cara, but Gizmo lives with the chickens!...dont ask :wub:
he has his own house, under the coop in the run with the big girls....when dory calls everyone for bed, he trota along behind the chickens and puts himself to bed!. the run is as foxproof as we could have made it, so he is safe in there, he was in the sand bath today digging holes with 2 of the girls, the girls love him and sit as close to him as possible, in the afternoon he runs around the garden with all his feathered friends....its very sweet.....i dont think baby piggies are up to hanging out with the girls yet tho :D :D :D
after seeing what they did to a mouse and frogs......i kind of think they might be on the lunch menu :D :D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 20:17 by dizzylizzie »

Jellyhead

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 22:06 »
Sounds like my place Dizzie. I have 19 piggies now, 4 of which were born on Christmas day. 2 girls and 2 boys Santa, Rudolph, Jingle Bells and Cracker :wacko:
I have a baby rabbit that lives with 4 piggies and all is well. I would never ever keep a piggie on its own. In the UK I did actually have a male castrated with no problems. I have been very lucky and never had any upset with fighting. Earlier in the summer I had a lovely little family group living sort of wild in the chicken pen, I made them a house with tunnels and rocks and they loved it. They shared with the chooks and Brian the rabbit. It was so lovely to see them all living so naturally. Winter quarters are now hutches in the donkeys feed room ;) much warmer and cosier :lol: have all boys and girlies separated in same sex groups now ::)
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 16:35 »
I wouldnt keep a rabbit in with my girls we did when I was younger and the piggy got seriously hurt by the rabbit and had to be put down.

I would just do the intro and all will be fine

Poolfield2

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 18:48 »
lol :lol:
i did think about that Cara, but Gizmo lives with the chickens!...dont ask :wub:
he has his own house, under the coop in the run with the big girls....when dory calls everyone for bed, he trota along behind the chickens and puts himself to bed!. the run is as foxproof as we could have made it, so he is safe in there, he was in the sand bath today digging holes with 2 of the girls, the girls love him and sit as close to him as possible, in the afternoon he runs around the garden with all his feathered friends....its very sweet.....i dont think baby piggies are up to hanging out with the girls yet tho :D :D :D
after seeing what they did to a mouse and frogs......i kind of think they might be on the lunch menu :D :D

Oooo Dizzie please can we have a photo of the chicken, Gizmo mix please. :lol:

dizzylizzie

Re: guinea pig help please...now with photos
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 19:55 »
Well, we got our little man today...we have called him Carlos  :lol:. he is sooo cute. Thanks for all your advice, really gratefull. We have decided to keep him on his own until he is 12 weeks old, we will then get him neutered, and when he has the all clear, get some girls from a rescue centre.
He is quite shy.....

But is gotta be worth a peek...

feeling a little safer...

Seems a bit more relaxed  :D

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 20:50 »
He is perfick  :tongue2: :D I would love a guinea, but sadly so would the cats  ;) What a lovely idea to get a few rescue girlies to keep him company as well xxx

Beetroot queen

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 21:12 »
Very very cute  :)

He'll soon settle down  :lol:

Jellyhead

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 08:51 »
Aaah he is lovely Dizzie :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 09:08 »
Lizzie he is so gorgeous and he will just love to have some girlies to keep him company  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Guinea pig help again please.....

Started by dizzylizzie on Pets without Feathers

72 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 21:01
by sunshineband
xx
my guinea pig

Started by Y.E.A.H on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 10:06
by Y.E.A.H
xx
Guinea pigs

Started by Thompson24 on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 13:33
by nzdunn
xx
Guinea pigs

Started by Mulberry1990 on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 19:41
by Mulberry1990

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 36 queries.