grey water

• 14 Replies

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
grey water
« on: May 08, 2007, 18:58 »
not sure if this is the right section for this one but if i want to use the washing up water in the garden or greenhouse do i need to use a certain type of washing up liquid or not?? i am trying to be organic (with the exception of slug pellets)

WG.

grey water
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 19:05 »
I use all grey water from the kitchen except from the washing up.  I guess you could use Ecover Washing Up Liquid but otherwise I'd suggest the washing up water goes on the compost heap or perhaps the comfrey patch.

Sam K.

grey water
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 21:00 »
I have been led to believe that using washing water does not affect plants, after all you use a diluted washing up liquid spray to keep off greenfly etc. Many permaculture books recommend that a garden requiring allot of watering is situated so that the sink drains directly into it. As  whisky_golf says I would be inclined to use that eco washing up liquid too.
Sam.

Organic with treated timber present.
What can you do? I don't want the house to fall down.

Ice

• muck spreader
grey water
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 21:05 »
Does this go for bath and shower water too 'cos that would be easy to plumb into a barrel here at hodgepodge lodge.
Cheese makes everything better.

WG.

grey water
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 21:09 »
Yup, reckon so.   Use Dabhand's lovely soaps.

ziggywigs

grey water
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 21:11 »
My mum used to throw her bowl of washing up water on the lawn or her roses.....she used Fairy liquid full strength...didn't harm anything.

Don't store grey water for more than 24 hours in Summer....grey water very quickly becomes fetid it takes longer for bacteria to multiply in colder weather so can be stored for longer in winter.  You shouldn't use grey water in a sprinkler as it can spread bacteria.

Ice

• muck spreader
grey water
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 21:21 »
Hadn't thought about it all going manky ziggywigs, that's useful to know.

Checked out Dabhands webpage WG, lovely things on there.

puravida

• Experienced Member
grey water
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 22:10 »
Ecover smells nice too!
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

fluffypebble

grey water
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 22:14 »
So can I use the water from my condenser dryer?
http://10.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/1/646/glitter_maker_03_04_2007_03_32_52_22128.gif[/img]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

Ice

• muck spreader
grey water
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 22:15 »
Quote from: "puravida"
Ecover smells nice too!

Yes, it was rubbish when it first came out you just couldn't get a lather, which put me off for a very long time.  Now, it's really good.

fluffypebble

grey water
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 22:20 »
I was looking at ecover dishwashing tablets tonight, bought the others cos I didn't have good results with ecover when it first came out.  Has anyone tried them?  I would rather use environmentally friendly but I also want good results. (I know - cake and eat it)

WG.

grey water
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 22:22 »
Quote from: "fluffypebble"
So can I use the water from my condenser dryer?
Yup, reckon so

niclala

grey water
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 23:37 »
I was looking at ecover dishwashing tablets tonight, bought the others cos I didn't have good results with ecover when it first came out.  Has anyone tried them?  I would rather use environmentally friendly but I also want good results. (I know - cake and eat it)

I've been using ecover dishwashing tablets for ages and can't tell the difference between them and the other not so friendly stuff. Mind you, I don't have cooked-meat-type washing up to worry about - veggie washing up always seems less hard work!

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
grey water
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 07:51 »
Quote from: "niclala"

I've been using ecover dishwashing tablets for ages and can't tell the difference between them and the other not so friendly stuff. Mind you, I don't have cooked-meat-type washing up to worry about - veggie washing up always seems less hard work!

I use the ecover tablets, dishwasher tablet are one of the most toxic things in your house. As with  washing powders,I use half the dose (half a tablet) and never have a problem with things not being clean, and we eat meat and weetabix (which I find such a pig!) although I have heard some people say it leaves coffe stains in cups sometimes, I have never had this problem. Bio-D dishwasher detergent is very good too, but trickier to get hold of!

fluffypebble

grey water
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 12:22 »
Thank you, I am veggie but OH and kids are meat eaters so we have all kinds of washing up to do.

Will try ecover and let you know.

xx
Compost gone grey - Bin it????

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2007, 16:08
by milkman
xx
My onions have grey spores on them ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2009, 23:34
by NASH
xx
Blue/grey pumpkins

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 15, 2013, 21:49
by Flowertot
xx
Grey/brown grubs

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 14:16
by mashbintater

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 37 queries.